1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LFUCS (my band) is playing a COLISEUM!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Supergroup, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Memorial Coliseum in Lexington Kentucky from 10:30AM -1:30PM on May 12 (on U.K.'s campus).

We just pinned this gig to the old bulletin board.... The event is "U.K. Staff Appreciation Day". There are approximately 11,000 staff members and nearly all of them will be coming in and out for free pizza and t-shirts during our set. We will be playing the entire length of the event with 5-minute interruptions between 20-minute sets.

The biggest crowd we have ever played for was ~500 people on New Years Eve (those people were wasted and didn't notice we played “Auld Lang Sine” in two different keys on accident)... so needless to say, this is HUGE for us.... and a little nerve racking.

Since this event is for appreciating workers, what are some good songs with work references in them? "Working Man" is already in our bag of tricks, so besides that one?

EDIT: Date.

2. Harps

Harps

Feb 22, 2006
    What about A Hard Day's Night The Beatles?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Taking Care of Business :D.

EDIT: Er...just in case you didn't know -- BTO.

4. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I know that some people claim that Huey Lewis and the News were (are) lame, but they had a very appropriate tune called "Workin' for a Living." You could rock it up a bit depending on your band, or you could play it straight. If you have horns, it would actually be kinda cool.

Seems like you would want to play a bunch of party type tunes since it's basically a big party for the staff.

If you go to any party band's website and look at their song lists, you'll get some great ideas for cool songs that will have everyone having a good time.

5. Unless you really ham it up and the crowd is really into it, my guess is that they won't really care if you play "work" related songs. Go for it, but don't expect everyone to notice "Working Man", etc. They're just looking for some good music.

20 minute sets with 5 minute breaks seems like an interesting way to spend an afternoon. Congratulations on a cool gig!

6. Hey man, I understand what you are saying about people not really caring about work related songs on their 3 hour tour away from the job... lol, they probably don't even want to hear it. On the Working Man thing, I live in Kentucky man, classic rock is a life line around here so I think will notice it.:)

Memorial Coliseum is the "House that (Adolph) Rupp Built". Basically it's a temple or shrine to basketball here in Kentucky.:) So, we are going to play the UK fight song and fanfare.

We are kind of a novelty act that gets silly and plays cartoon and 80's t.v. theme songs then melts your face with Motorhead, Kiss...Gn'R...Living Colour and so on. We like to bring songs that are appropriate to the crowd and the occasion.

We kind of abadoned the idea of work related songs last night during practice.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    sorry this is so long. (catches breath)

7. this is a great suggestion... thanks.

8. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Take This Job And Shove It.

Works even better if you call out a few bosses' names before you play it.