1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lh1000 into 4 ohm goliath III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jimgrande, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Jimgrande

Jimgrande

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi folks..been reading here a while and appreciate so many great thoughts...finally registered and this is my first post...i recently bought a rig...and the above goliath cab was partnered with a hartke model 2000 which is now fried and not worth repairing...tried a pf-500 through the goliath today but didn't dig that combo...am considering the lh1000 but worried it may be too powerful for my cab which is rated at 700 watts and is 4 ohms....i like the fact that is appears I could add a 2nd cab with this head...any thoughts would be greatly appeciated

2. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I'd opt for a lh500 with a 700 watt cab.

3. Jimgrande

Jimgrande

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks funkybass...while he didnt have the lh500 in stock...he did have the lh1000 which he says victor wooten played out of during a recent store appearance...not that I anticipate it helping my fingers any...from what ive read the lh1000 is basically 2 lh500s in the same box...all that piwer is appealing (but dangerous to my amp?)....me and the store clerk didnt want to plug it in for fear of damaging cab (after figuring out it was amp, not cab with problem (thankfully)...store owner (who I find very trustworthy after 20 yrs of dealing...but was out when I came in)...called me up later and said he thought lh1000 would be amazing through my cab...from what ive read in other posts here it shouldnt blow my speakers unless I crank it...though I must confess I like to make pictures fall off the wall and am half deaf from 25 years of playing guitar through tube amps..but i'm a bassman now...better late than never :) I find the simple controls of the lh appealing and am hoping I can cut the head to half power when I mess with it today...the lack of a tuner out is annoying...he also had a tiny 500 watt eden which I may try..but it didnt liok rack mountable...lol...nice problems to have

4. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 or even 350 - plenty oomph to work with a 700W cab

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    No reason not to get the LH1000 . Like the store owner said , the only way you would blow the cab would be if you cranked it up too much and the speakers will start making some unpleasant sounds before that will happen . With bass guitar it is always better to have more power than you need than not enough . A solid state amp clipping from being pushed past its limit sounds worse than when speakers start to break up from too much power , the speakers will give you a little warning , the amp would not . I have run at least 1000 watts in my rigs for about ten years with cabs that won't won't handle that full amount and haven't blown a single driver . The only drawback to the LH1000 I could see would be the weight and if that doesn't bother you go for it .

6. Jimgrande

Jimgrande

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks for the input! Can't wait to try out the LH1000 through the Goliath when I get back over there tomorrow

7. STRINGSLINGER

STRINGSLINGER Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Omaha/Blair NE
    I have the LH500 and it is more than sufficient. I have it running through a 2 15 cab at 4ohms and truth be told, I have never gigged it over 2 on the dial.

8. Jimgrande

Jimgrande

Aug 22, 2012
    Well I got the lh1000 this afternoon and spent the last two hours in bass heaven...loud, toneful, and simple...my kind of amp!