LH500 making scratchy/hissy noise! Whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedCoatMonster, Feb 17, 2010.

1. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Heya folks, Ive got a problem and I am hoping to tap some of the collective TB knowledge on this one before I spend any cash on costly repairs or buy a new head all together.

Ive got a Hartke LH500 and it is making quite a bit of scratchy, hissy noise. I am pretty sure it isnt my spector's jack, I had replaced it a month or two before the noise began and when I turn my cable in the jack it doesnt make any additional noise or stop the noise. Iv done the same with the the active jack on my head, nothing. Ive also turned the bass/mids/ and treble dials and this also has had no effect either lessening or exacerbating the noise.

Any ideas what the hell is goin on here? It is driving me NUTS and there isnt any shops near me that I trust to crack her open. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome. Thanks a lot TB!

2. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Need some help bump...

3. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I think in the main LH500 thread there was some mention of either bad or loosely seated preamp tubes causing something similar ... can't recall exactly though, it just sounds familiar.

4. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    I had the LH1000 and it hissed also. Its the nature of the beast. Turn off the cabinet horn if you can and listen for a difference. True, the tubes will scratch by themselves if not seated properly or failing but the 500 and 1000LH are not the best of quality.

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Mine is dead quiet and rock solid. No hissing.

6. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Is the tube thing something I can fix on my own or would I need a professional? I have no experience working on amps aside from tightening screws ha ha.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021