Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Liability insurace

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bob Rogers, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    My daughter's band, was booked to do a promotion for the public library at the local mall. The mall has asked for a Certificate of Insurance listing them as an "addtional insured" for the term of the promotion. When they were just doing volunteer gigs, I understood that they were covered under my homeowners insurance, but I guess that's not true for a paid gig.

Do any of you have business liability insurance for your bands? How much? With who? What does it cost?

2. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    What (or whom) is this insurance supposed to cover? Like if the band doesn't show up? Or if the venue burns down before the gig? Or more like if someone in the audience gets hurt by the band's equipment or something, or if a band member gets hurt at the venue? And, would a band that's not an LLC or something even be able to get insurance as a band or as whatever type of entity? I don't know anything about small business or any business (obviously), I'm just curious about the intended purpose of this insurance. Sorry I can't help though.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The intended purpose is to cover the band should something happen that gets them sued, like someone in the crowd getting hurt and deciding it was the band's fault. Some bands have it, some don't, and I know of a couple clubs in this area that require performers to have it and who include contract clauses where the performer assumes all liability for any lawsuits related to the show.

For a group of young teens doing a volunteer show at a mall its stretching the limits of sanity even to think about (though its a twisted, lawsuit happy world, so you never know). But Malls tend to be run by people who look at a dropped soda as a class action suit, so I'm not THAT surprised that the issue came up.

4. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Just to clarify, the issues is liability insurance (as tash said). The band is getting paid (so that cuts out any protection from my homeowners insurance). And I am providing the PA. (Kids playing around the speaker stands is evidently the issue that got the Mall concerned enough to start asking for this.)

5. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    What I'm finding out is that malls require this of vendors all the time. So I guess they are branching out to bands. Since I am running PA more often, it's probably smart for me to form an LLC and get some insurance. I'll get some quotes around here and from outfits like Music Pro.

Still, I'd never sign a contract assuming all liability. The liability assigned to the band and the club would be determined by a court. There's no way I'm going to sign something where I agree to pony up their share.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    In the wake of the whole "Great White burns down club, kills hundreds of fans" thing a lot of venues got pretty nervous about lawsuits. I think that's where the whole liability waiver thing probably comes from.

As for malls, that sounds pretty standard too. A friend of mine was looking for retail space for her buisness and realy wanted to get into one of the higher end area malls (she sells handmade exotic import jewlery and shiny baubles). The mall wanted her to have something like $1 million in liability coverage, for a buisness that makes about $100k per year max...

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    If the library has booked the band then the mall should be chasing them.

My band does a max of two gigs a month and we don't do contracts per se. When a deal is reached, I send an email confirmation to the club and a hard copy via registered mail. It's basically just the date, start-time; end-time, location,and fee.

As I am not out to increase or decrease my liability. If a venue wants me to sign something stating I must assume more liability and/or exonerate them from liability; I don't.