Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

liberating a pbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkfish, Aug 27, 2002.

1. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    my fretless essex pbass [​IMG] is sunburst, and without the pickguard its beautiful, except it looks like this : [​IMG] plus theres a cavity from the east edge of the pup to the control cavity...

is there a way i could put a chrome plate or something on this? would it look good? it looks sweet, but theres nothing to hold the knobs in.....

2. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Get a new body.:p

3. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    but either way, if i didnt want a pickguard, id still need something for a control plate

4. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I thought there were bodies where the control cavity is in the back. Check Warmoth.

5. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    but then id have to pay 2-300 for a new body....
    what about this:
    [​IMG]

itd cover the control cavity, but what about the channel from the pups to the control cavity?

6. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    well, i butchered my essex pguard to look like that control plate, cept i made it continue over to the bottom pup so that it covers that cavity...i just need to get to a disk sander and itl be shweet...

7. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    i know its horrible, but its the best i could do...heres an idea of what it looks like now::

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I don't think it looks too bad... There was a Nashville bassist in the '70s, Henry Strezlesky, (or something along those lines :D), who had a pickguard that was cut about a quarter inch above the top of the pickup... Kind of a half pickguard. I've always liked that look...

-robert

9. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Looks cool man, get some more pickguard material and stick it on the left side so its sorta symetrical...well, I dunno, might be cheesy in your book.

10. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    that'd be kinda cheesey....plus to make it match id have to buy a white lefty pbass pguard.....

11. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    im thinkin of doing it again with a black pguard, cos essex pbass pguards are only $5.99

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Part of the classic look of a P bass is the pickguard. If you don't want a pickguard, get a Yamaha or Ibanez.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Only thing cooler than that style P bass with the pickgaurd is the origional 51 style P bass style pickgaurd!

If I were you Id probably grab some PU and bridge covers and slap those on it. As song as they dont get in your way.

Peace
    Nick

14. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    thank you for your well thought opinion on the matter, mr. sir. moderator embellisher.

15. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    i dont know whether to get both pup and bridge covers, or get a bridge cover and one of these:
    [​IMG]
    the only thing is that the ring is backwards.....and i dont know if itd look good with the rest of the bass. ill probly go for bridge n pup covers.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dude, not cool.

He was just giving his opinion on the issue. Besides the fact that that was not cool at all, its against forum rules to call anyone names.

Oh and I doubt a mod would like the fact that you called him a piece of male genetalia.

Besides, from the time Ive spent on this forum Ive realized that Embelisher is a nice guy who respects everyone; he deserves to be treated with respect.

Pray for mercy brother.

Peace
    Nick

17. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I agree with Nick Man.

Lately funkfish, all you've been posting about is the looks of your Jazz Bass and now you're Precision Bass. All that is fine and dandy but do you have to keep bumping the topics? It's sorta like you're showing off. I'm sure you could do a search and find some good information. :)

18. It's not backwards if you rotate it 180 degrees, or flip it to the other side.

19. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Allparts.com

Getcha a controll plate and pickup rings. I know that they come in chrome (my fav color) and I'm sure that thet come in other colors too. Good luck.

20. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    what are you going (have done?) to do about the screw holes where the pickguard screwed into the body? ive thought of removing mine on my bass (NOT a fender :p ) but the screw holes being exposed always kept me from doing it.....