Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by basslax, Aug 28, 2001.

1. just picked up my second rental bass today and was wondering what the people here at TB think about it. It is a Lidl 3/4 bass and i have never heard of it but that doesn't mean much. I really need some input because once the rental is over i have the option to buy it at a discount.

Thanks for the help
  2. No one here can have any opinion of that bass without having played it. I presume you'll be getting a teacher. Work with him and don't worry about the purchase option till the rental term is near expiration. Only you, with the assistance of your teacher anad your own ability will be able to judge the bass when the time comes.
  3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN

All hail the great Mr. Crackhousekey!!!! Great advice.
  4. Tim,

Your picture doesn't give justice to that beautiful bass of yours. You need to show your extension.

5. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Hey thanks Mark. That's my 5 year old son playing my bass. Sadly, I think he has better intonation.
  6. And he is already in thumb position! Cool.
  7. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    BTW - I "think" Lidl is a Czech company that makes basses for other labels, including (I think) Strunal.
  8. yeah i already have a teacher (i started URB about 1 1/2 years ago) that i am working with but he isnt really knowlegable about upright basses. Just wanted to know if this bass was reliable or of decent quality or whatever

thanks guys
  9. Sorry, but what kind of teacher is he if can't even evaluate an instrument, ie. play it and judge it, tell you what good about it, what's bad. That's like an auto-mechanic that can't tell you what's wrong with your car.
  10. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

Lidl is the old name for what is now called Strunal. Its a Czech company. They make basses from plywood to carved. They all look pretty good and seem to be well-made but I have played two or three plywoods and they sound dead to me. Any old Kay is easier to play and sounds better (to my ears) if you are looking for a plywood bass.
    The Lidl would probably be a reasonably good practice instrument.
    Keep checking out as many basses as you can before you decide about buying.
  11. he did evaluate the bass and he liked the sound and all but he hadnt heard of the company. i just wanted to see if anyone here had heard of it.
  12. FodderJohn

Sep 4, 2008
    I believe that Strunal made the Lidl among the other brands it made and discontinued making them about a decade ago. I called the Strunal Co. here in the US to check on this but I could be wrong. I bought mine used, a student bass, and had to replace the end pin but otherwise the finish, despite the age, is fairly good and the sound serves my needs.

You know, if we all had a zillion dollars the choice of what bass to buy would be easy, just go for the top and write the check but for most of us we have to balance tone and quality with the old wallet and try to get the best we can. For around a $1000 I got a serviceable bass, nothing fancy, but in good repair with reasonably settled woord and over time I'll change what I can and do my best to get the best tone. Someday when I'm rich and famous :) I'll have the reps from all the best companies visit me and take my pick.
  13. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    There are some good repairmen in your area. Look on Bob Gollihur's site in bass links. You can find repairmen there. There are many good bassists and teachers that are a tad limited as far as evaluating an instrument. Even a bass made by a reputable company can be worthless if it has been abused. I am VERY knowledgeable about basses but still like to get a second opinion from someone who spends his days fixing these beasts. Also, you'll need a repairman to properly set up the instrument for you. This is a very necessary expense. A cheapo bass that is perfectly setup can play and sound better than a $35k bass that is poorly set up.
  14. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    There's a Lidl listed for sale on Arnold's site.
  15. shakernow

Mar 25, 2009
    Where on Arnold's site?
  16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Right here. I hope it's ok to post a link to a commercial site under these circumstances.
  17. notflintstone

Aug 28, 2013
    I bought a Lidl as my first urb about a 2 1/2 years ago. My instructor is an accomplished player recorded with many artists. I had my bass professionally set up by Robbie Macintyre(sp?) at the very start. Likewise, mine needed a new tailpin and i replaced the wire and new strings. I love my bass for playing bluegrass and the price of it doesnt give me the shakes when I leave it on a stand in hot humid weather at greyfox all day. My instructor said he would be okay playing it at a gig. Bottom line, invest in the "set-up"