Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Liebenzeller

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Klimbim, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
  2. I tried it about 10 years ago and didn't like it much. Mind you, it was the middle of a very and humid summer and I was having some pretty bad problems with all rosins, but even still, it doesn't jump out at me as being great.

I guess it might interesing to try it again, but it's dreadfully expensive!

3. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    Ah :)

It's been around for 10 years?? That's a surprise....thanks for the info. It IS incredibly expensive for rosin, esp as I've got to spend another 10-20 bucks or so to get it shipped out here to me.

4. rodrigo rojas

rodrigo rojas

Jul 3, 2002
    Germany
    I think you might be confused, it has not been around so long, although I dont know if the same name was used before.
    Anyway I tried the softest one and I liked it. At times I mixed it with Pop´s to experiment obtaining good results. It doesnt have the punch that pop´s has, but its very clean sounding, loud enough for sure, but is it worth all that money? I am somehow back to pop´s.

5. etn

etn

Oct 26, 2001
    Freiburg, Germany
    Yes, I use Liebenzeller Gold VI on the bass
    (and Gold III and IV on the cello, by the way).

It performs well, and makes a big, warm sound.
    A really great rosin.

Etienne

6. Hey!

Last time I bought Liebenzeller and I am happy to listen to the sound it makes. It is beautiful. I used POP'S but Liebenzeller is magnificent.

greetings
    Malgosia

7. I would like to know if you consider it superior to the Swedish rosins - Nyman or Carlsson.

8. Hey,

I haven't tried Carlsson yet but I had an opportunity to play for few times using Nyman and I think Liebenzeller makes softer and more gentle sound. Of course it is very subjecitve feeling because for instance I am a girl so the weight of my arm I use to make a sound is different than yours (I guess). But in my opinion the Liebenenzeller sound is cleaner and I am happy to listen to my playing :) And what about you?

greetings
    Malgosia

9. I've never listened to you play, so I don't know how happy I'd be.
    I have another year's worth of Nyman on hand. No change for me for a while.

10. I see you have a big sense of humour :) It is nice. I guess there will not be a chance to listen to my playing because I am in Europe :) So I wish you all the best.

Greetings
    Malgosia

11. derylgallant

derylgallant Bassist from Prince Edward Island, Canada

Aug 1, 2005
    Charlottetown, PEI
    I started using the Gold IV this past summer and at first I didn't like it ( I was a Pop's guy through and through )..but then I gave it some time and WOW...I really really like it...I play in a pit orchestra where I need to have punch and clarity and it gives me both....I find it actually grips better than Pop's...and with very little application..

I highly recommend it.

12. Amin

Amin

Oct 22, 2004
    Italy
    I bought the Gold VI (very expensive..)and I used it for two or three months...at first I found it absolutely amazing: clarity, natural and clean sound..it didn't influence the sound of my instrument at all! I was attracted by the "new thing.."
    Then I came back to POP's... According to me Pop's has got more grip and give you more sound..maybe the sound is a little less clear,but to me it's more powerful and warmer.. (That's the same opinion of the most important double bass players here in Italy...)
    I still keep my Liebenzeller as an "emergency rosin".. But now I' m again a Pop's lover...

That's only my experience...