1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Liebenzeller

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Klimbim, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
  2. I tried it about 10 years ago and didn't like it much. Mind you, it was the middle of a very and humid summer and I was having some pretty bad problems with all rosins, but even still, it doesn't jump out at me as being great.

I guess it might interesing to try it again, but it's dreadfully expensive!

3. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    Ah :)

It's been around for 10 years?? That's a surprise....thanks for the info. It IS incredibly expensive for rosin, esp as I've got to spend another 10-20 bucks or so to get it shipped out here to me.

4. rodrigo rojas

rodrigo rojas

Jul 3, 2002
    Germany
    I think you might be confused, it has not been around so long, although I dont know if the same name was used before.
    Anyway I tried the softest one and I liked it. At times I mixed it with Pop´s to experiment obtaining good results. It doesnt have the punch that pop´s has, but its very clean sounding, loud enough for sure, but is it worth all that money? I am somehow back to pop´s.

5. etn

etn

Oct 26, 2001
    Freiburg, Germany
    Yes, I use Liebenzeller Gold VI on the bass
    (and Gold III and IV on the cello, by the way).

It performs well, and makes a big, warm sound.
    A really great rosin.

Etienne

6. Hey!

Last time I bought Liebenzeller and I am happy to listen to the sound it makes. It is beautiful. I used POP'S but Liebenzeller is magnificent.

greetings
    Malgosia

7. I would like to know if you consider it superior to the Swedish rosins - Nyman or Carlsson.

8. Hey,

I haven't tried Carlsson yet but I had an opportunity to play for few times using Nyman and I think Liebenzeller makes softer and more gentle sound. Of course it is very subjecitve feeling because for instance I am a girl so the weight of my arm I use to make a sound is different than yours (I guess). But in my opinion the Liebenenzeller sound is cleaner and I am happy to listen to my playing :) And what about you?

greetings
    Malgosia

9. I've never listened to you play, so I don't know how happy I'd be.
    I have another year's worth of Nyman on hand. No change for me for a while.

10. I see you have a big sense of humour :) It is nice. I guess there will not be a chance to listen to my playing because I am in Europe :) So I wish you all the best.

Greetings
    Malgosia

11. derylgallant

derylgallant Bassist from Prince Edward Island, Canada Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Charlottetown, PEI
    I started using the Gold IV this past summer and at first I didn't like it ( I was a Pop's guy through and through )..but then I gave it some time and WOW...I really really like it...I play in a pit orchestra where I need to have punch and clarity and it gives me both....I find it actually grips better than Pop's...and with very little application..

I highly recommend it.

12. Amin

Amin

Oct 22, 2004
    Italy
    I bought the Gold VI (very expensive..)and I used it for two or three months...at first I found it absolutely amazing: clarity, natural and clean sound..it didn't influence the sound of my instrument at all! I was attracted by the "new thing.."
    Then I came back to POP's... According to me Pop's has got more grip and give you more sound..maybe the sound is a little less clear,but to me it's more powerful and warmer.. (That's the same opinion of the most important double bass players here in Italy...)
    I still keep my Liebenzeller as an "emergency rosin".. But now I' m again a Pop's lover...

That's only my experience...