Life Advice.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eagle17, Oct 12, 2005.

1. I know this seems like a strange place to post this but the members of this forum have in my experience been helpful on a bevy of topics, hence here I am.

Since I was maybe 10 or so I have dreamed of being a cop, I dont know why but something about it seems so interesting to me and I look forward to being a cop.

However, I recently had my wits end with the public school system and dropped out in favor of testing the equivelancy degree and going to college. Im 16 now and about to pick my courses for next semester {my first semester at college} and I ran into a road block.

It seems the college closest to me {which I had imagined I would attend seeing as they have an A.S crim. just. program} requires you be 19 before entering the program....complete bull**** but hey thats florida.

Anyways I dont know what to do now. I know law enforcement is what I want to do as a career but I cant enter the program for 3 more years, enough time to get a whole degree.

What should I do? Should I just take the gen eds and get them out of the way? Should I get a degree from an online university? I really have no clue, the age requirement really threw a kink in my system.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Get those Gen Eds out of the way dude, you'll be happy you did. Also, you won't lose as much as you will by waiting all that time. You'd be suprised by the stuff that overlaps if your high school wasn't complete bogus (though that seems to be the case here). Regardless, take as many classes as you can, stay on your scholarly toes, and who knows, you may change your mind. For a really long time i thought i wanted to be a music major. Now i've finished my Gen Eds and i'm working on my english major and i've started my music minor...i don't feel like i need to even minor in music now that i'm learning all the theory i've been meaning to learn. You're still young, there's time to grow and figure stuff out.
  3. What did I tell you! Thank you fenderx55 that made the most sense out of any of my options. And since Im under 18 I get free college so I might as well live it up right?
  4. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I done good :hyper: it happens every now and then :smug:
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Keep in mind, education is the ticket to your future. The more letters at the end of your name (aka degrees and such), the more doors open up for you. Make you investment now, it will pay off.

The Gen Ed stuuf is good to knock out early, look at some Psych courses as well.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Go to a four-year university and get a degree in a social science, then go to law school, then join the FBI or Secret Service. Why not do it up right?
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Are you talking about the University of Florida? Good luck trying to get admitted without superb high school transcripts, or excellent athletic skills.

8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I don't know about Florida, but most places, you can't be an active officer until you are 21 anyways. Spend the time wisely. Get a 4 year degree (in any field really). Take Munji's suggestions possibly. I don't want to sour you on your choice, but I've been a cop 21 yrs now, and if I had it to do all over again, I'd DEFINITELY do something else. Make sure you understand what the impact of shift work and crappy days off will be on you, and your future family. You are obviously a bass player since you are on this site. I had to take a 15 year break from gigging until I was senior enough to have weekends off. This isn't even counting the enormous amounts of crap you have to put up with from both the public, and your administration. Any job has its pitfalls, but this one seems to have more than most. If you poll alot of officers my age, you'll find probably 1/4 of them still love the job, and 3/4 are counting the minutes until they can retire and do something they actually enjoy. Good luck with what ever path you choose though, and if you want to know any specifics, PM me.
  9. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hmmm you wanna be a cop...I would spend four years drinking to excess, eating donuts and other take away food and generally hassling other people for no good reason. You'll be well trained by the time you sign up for the fuzz - right CHeeze? :D
  10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

Quite right! You'll also want to buy a rechargable maglite, and practice hitting a manniquin in the kneecaps with it.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree about the four year degree. I was going to say that too. If you're not interested in the fed jobs then maybe you could get your degree in forensics and then go into law enforcement and be a detective or CSI or something. Social science might also help with just being a regular cop.

brad cook
  12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Take the Blue pill
  13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'd laugh, but there was a cop in the next town who
    lost his job for exactly that, except they weren't mannequins. He was the son-in-law of the chief, even that didn't save
    his job.

But he never showed for my ticket hearing as he had been
    suspended pending proceedings.

Some good advice up there. Congrats on getting ahead early
    and use the time to your best advantage.
  14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

Ouch. Just goes to show you, there are dumbasses in every job and every walk of life! I hope it was clear to all you kiddies reading that I was KIDDING about the maglite comment! :)
  15. Thanks for the advice guys. While Im pretty sure I want to be a cop I guess I will leave it open until Im 19 then if I still feel the way I do now then I can enter the program. And I asked the school and you do have to be 21 to be a cop in FL so thats why they have the age limit. I will check with the local law enforcement offices and see if any of them have a ride along program for people under 18.

Again thanks for the help!
  16. Thor

Yeah, that's what those three people with the broken Knee caps in Narragansett said. Your right, there are dumbasses
    in every profession. Got some in mine as well.

Well, I knew you were kidding.

Now I am going to beat one of my buyers into submission.
  17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    You're only 16? I must be missing something here, but I think you should go back into the public school system and get your high school diploma before doing anything else.

For a few years, I taught adult basic ed to people who left school so that they can get GEDs. My experience is that a HS diploma opens more doors.

18. Thor

In our neck of the woods, the 'ride-along program' is the Explorers. It is administered as a separate group of the BSA,
    Boy Scouts of America and is dedicated to young people
    interested in Law Enforcement.

Check the local phone book for Boy Scouts of America
    for the local Council, and ask them about Explorer Posts
    active near you.
  19. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Check out some local PDs or SOs in your area and ask if they have a Police Explorers program. It's a boy-scouts affiliated program that let's teens between 14-21 learn about the law enforcement field. I've been in my post since it opened, and am currently an Explorer Sergeant. Our post has meetings once a month, and we cover topics like search and seizure, accident reconstruction, domestic violence, dealing with the public and a ton of other courses. We also do ridealongs with the officers once a month. I've seen some pretty neat (and weird/freaky) things on my ridealongs. Also, we do events like charities/gift drives as well as provide communications/assistance to the public at local events like music festivals.

EDIT: Thor beat me to it :D
  20. Thor

But your info is much more comprehensive than mine,
    so well worth the effort! Well done!