Life in your cover band.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    There are a few things about my cover band that I can't stand - the songs we do, some of the places we play, personaltities.... but every now and again someone reminds me of the good things, and I feel pretty fortunate.

My job consists of showing up when I'm supposed to at the club we're playing, playing, learning an average 6 songs a month, and showing up on time for a rehearsal once every 2 months. That's it. I dont pay for rehearsals, I don't choose or get into arguments about songs, I don't book gigs, deal with club owners, post flyers or anything else of the sort. Not that I wouldn't be willing, it's just not expected nor asked of me. I think I'm pretty lucky like that.

What are your responsibilites in your cover band. Is mine a truly unique situation that I should be even more grateful for than I already am?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Nope, seems pretty ordinary to me.
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    We need to learn about 2 songs a week. We practice every Sunday. We all are supposed to give input for our website. We are all supposed to keep our eyes open for possible gigs.

As far as I can tell, mostly myself and the singer do the second two. After being with a band for a while, even in a democratic band... the natural leaders begin to show their colors.

I think it's fun to play covers. I am into it now. But I am also looking forward to injecting some originals as we go to see how people like them. :)
  5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i think youre quite lucky,although you should have some say on what cover songs youre playing.
  6. I'm just a bass whore. I must have played in about 7 other bands for one or two gigs because their bassist is injured, away, incompetant. These are mostly cover bands made up of 15 and 16 year olds, playing covers. They send me a tape a month b4 the performance of the original version. I get there, realise they are playing it in the wrong key or in some weird structure or that the drummer is self taught and has been play 2 months. Sometimes its a kind of embarressment, but at least sometimes i get good basslines, Chilli Peppers etc. Aah well it keeps me fresh.

7. Hey Nerve, if you only rehearse once every two months, then how often do you perform? I'm starting to get cover band ideas floating in my head.
  8. lol. Same here. I've played with 3 different bands in 1 day at a show. Fill in for some idiot who didn't bring her bass and then for the actual performance it arrived and she went on stage and sucked. Some call me and my drummer friend the band sluts.;)
  9. I'm a musical slut. I play around whenever I get the chance.

But I'm getting better, because the first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging the fact that you have a problem.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    In my last band the drummer and myself handled the bookings,sound,and mailing list for our gigs.As far as choosing material,all five of us had equal input on what we would/wouldnt play.

My new band seems to be shaping up the same way,but weve only been together for five weeks,so only time will tell..........
  11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    The first 2 months we practiced 2X a week. We started gigging after that and dropped it to once a week for about 2 more months. When we had 50 songs we could play well we dropped to once a month, and new we're rehearsing every now and then - an average of about once every 2 months. Hey - just realized if this keeps up we won't be rehearsing at all soon. Yippeee!!!! I'd rather be getting paid, or playing with The Nerve than rehearsing the cover thing.

We gig about 6 times a month.
  12. It seems like you have a pretty good gig.

True, it's not so great that you don't have that much say in which tunes you guys cover, but I respect the fact that you guys took the time and had the discipline to rehearse twice a week for a while and work up 50 tunes. Even though I really like the band I'm in, I am getting tired of the song repitition. Look at it this way - if you're paid decently well for your cover stuff, you can fund your Nerve work.
  13. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    IMO, you can't have a band where everyone has an equal amount of say in how things are done. There has to be one or two of you that have a little bit more say than everyone else, or you'll be arguing over everything.

Just my 2-cents. Actually, it was my second post in this thread, so that would be four-cents total. :D
  14. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I must admit, this band has come together more quickly and efficiently than any band I've been in in my life. There is one guy who runs the whole show - he wants everything to be done his way, and therefore puts all the money and work into it. He was a slavedriver in the beginning, and it took me a long time to like him at all - but I needed some serious slave driving. One of the hardest things to swallow though is the band is named after him - and he's the weakest musical link - and front man.

I've been in democratic bands that never got anywhere. Everyone has an opinion and it's really hard to have peace - even on the simple things like selecting a name. If everyone accepts that one person is gonna call all the shots, it's soooooooooo easy. My cover band is a job to me, and I'll choose playing Karma Chamelion and Every Rose has a Thorn over loading trucks (or teaching English - what I used too do) any f - ing day :) . I'd much rather be playing Chili Peppers though.
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Interesting. I have been in 3 bands over time, all three have been democratic style, and of course the first two went no where at all.

The most recent, which is my cover band, is supposedly all even. But There are two players who do more, and inevitably, make more decisions that effect the direction of the band. So I guess it's not perfectly even....

Hey Joe, you make another interesting point. This guy who is leading your band is not as talented as some of the other members. But What is it that makes him important to the band? It's his drive. His skills may be modest, but he wouldn't be the first popular musician who had modest skills and a lot of heart. ;)
  16. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    My life in my cover/originals band is good. We have arguments every now and then. But were getting to the point were learning 3 songs a week. Its fun
  17. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Actually, I would prefer a guy with modest skills and a whole lotta heart, versus what I did have -- no skills, no heart and no drive, with a ton of stars in their eyes.

As far as the democracy issue goes, the two "serious" bands I have been in have been (for all intents and purposes) just that -- a democracy -- equal say for everyone. If there was a decision to be made (whether it was adding a song or coming up with a name), it got voted on. The problem was, if someone really didn't like the outcome of the vote, they knew that a simple "I'll walk offstage if we play that song" would get the vote negated. That's why I say, everyone should have and be entitled to their opinions and ideas, but in the end, there should be one person that has the final say. And by the way, I would have no problem being the "follower," as long as the leader is trying to lead us out of the basement and not back into it. ;)

That brings my total up to 6 cents.
  18. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Life in my cover band is pretty laid back. Our singer, drummer, and myself are usually the ones who suggest cover songs to learn. Our guitarist usually never suggest a cover, but he's the one who always comes up with an orginal groove for us to jam on. Our lead singer is the one who hangles the bookings, but really, non of us should be booking cause non of us really have the personality for that. I designed our website, which I'm redesigning right now. I play a lot of covers that I don't like, but someone else in the band might like, in turn, there are songs I like to play that others don't. Our singer and drummer somtimes fight, but they are brothers, so that's normal.
  19. i was in a cover band for a while, but the singer moved to ****ing nebraska so we all gave up
  20. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    In my cover band ( I have a lot more stuff to do on a regular basis.

- I write out and arrange all the rhythm section charts for the tunes that we do, about 1/4 of the tunes we do I actually arrange the horn parts as well. The horn parts take a long-ass time to do normally, hence myself, 2 of the horn players, and the lead singer all do horn arrangements.

- I actively book gigs for us, a duty which I share with the guitarist.

- I share website management duties with one of the other guys.

- I burn compilation CDs for the band of new tunes we are learning, which is a pain in the ass because my CD burner is only a 6x (18 minutes per cd when it's a full disc).

Other than that, I show up and play at rehearsal once a week and gigs. Oh yeah, and I play in 2 other bands besides this one. :)