1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Life investment?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sunk, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Sunk

Sunk

Feb 19, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Greetings!

Ive been playing for a few years on my beginner bass and Im sick of it. Ive got very big hands and the jazz neck isnt working, after tried a p bass Im sure that kind of neck is what Im looking for.

So anyways, Im saving my money to buy something that will last a life time. Im really in to fender p-basses, I love the warm sound and just how it feels in my hands. The only thing that I dont like bout the fender is the numbers of frets, its to few!

I can spend about 2 000$, I want to find the perfect bass. Warm sound, P-bass neck, 24frets that can play any musicstyle. Any suggestions?

PS. I live in sweden, europe where the market for basses isnt that big. DS

2. There are a couple of options you could consider although pure P basses aren't all that common - many come with more pick-ups even though you might have a switch to single out the P pick-up.

For that kind of money, I'd get myself a Valenti. Nino is a frequent member on this board as are many of his clients. You can read the reviews on this board. He has always got glowing reviews and construction is top notch.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Don't be in a hurry to spend your cash. Do the legwork, and check your options in depth.

I also suggest that the best way to maximize your cash is to buy used. You'll be able to afford a much better bass for the same money.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Some higher-end builders who make P-style basses include Celinder, Mike Lull, and Sadowsky. Hotwire Basses (located in Germany) makes a P-J bass, but it looks to be only a 21 fret.

5. leading*the*rat

leading*the*rat

Oct 3, 2005
    germany
    Ask a luthier near by! Guess it should be no prob for a pro to build a bass to your needs (and btw.: arent ther some good lutiers in Sweden? I was just thinking of the guy who builds the basses and guitars for Meshuggah...)
    Hejda

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If you are intereseted in a custom "P" Look into Lakland. The Bob Glaub model.

7. Sunk:

If there are not many basses to try out in Sweden and you can afford the trip, you might want to go to London to put your hands on a number of different types of basses before you make a decision.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My concern is that you've only been playing a few years. I've been going for five years and still am not 100% sure of what I want and will not drop the cash on a custom instrument until I'm positive. I fear you may be wasting some hard earned money. Just upgrade to a better bass, perhaps a Precision, but I wouldn't spend my entire budget if I were you.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

At this point maybe you could check out a nice new or used Fender US Precsion Bass if you want an up grade before going the custom route.

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    It's not 24 fret, but if you can, check out a G&L L2000/2500. Great sounds, great feel, superb build quality.

11. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Sunk,
    I agree with both Tim and Major, give yourself a little more time before making any final decisions. If the P feel is good for you, a nice Fender P will give you a good feel for the bass style without making a lifetime committment at this early stage. Check out Fender Japan .... some great pricing there .... :cool:

12. Sunk

Sunk

Feb 19, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Some very good points here! Its true that I havent played enough to make a life long investment and therefore I shouldnt pay as much. So thinking about the fenders, is it worth the 1 500$ for a MIA. MIM cost bout 800$ and what Ive found there isnt any CIJ p-basses on the swedish market.

A used bass will give me more for my money but Im not sure, Id rather go buy a new bass. But goin custom? Nope, thats not goin to happend in a few years atleast. What I ment bout life investment is that I dont whant to buy a low quality bass that is going to break after 2 years, I want something that will last.

13. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    If you buy used, and find that the bass you bought isn't as perfect as you thought, you can resell it without much/any loss. You can buy and sell several times, each time learning a little more about what you really want your "perfect" bass to be. If you buy new, and resell, big loss guaranteed.

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sunk - you must consider Celinder basses from Denmark.

15. What about a Stingray? its got a fatter neck like a P, its got a hell of a lot more punch, though it is a different sound, and its built like a brick-****-house

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Fair warning: If you decide to spend a lot, do NOT spend a lot of time on TB if you intend on keeping it for life.

I mean, GAS will hit within the next week for crying out loud...

17. I'm pretty sure Hotwire could make you a great bass to those specs for between $1500-2000. That's what I would recomend.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would also suggest that you look for a used Celinder P-bass.
    My guess is you could find one for less than $2,000.