1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Life is getting in the way. I can't bring myself to play....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Big Hoss, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Pretty sure I am not alone in this. With elderly parents, crazy in laws, insane day job etc... I just can't seen to justify time to pick up my bass and play. Actually I just can't seem to squeeze out the time.

Anyone else get like this?

2. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Yeah the last year has been tough

3. A lot of times .

Because my wife suffers from this:-

atty.

3rdcurve likes this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Many times. Just don't sell your equipment. :bassist:

5. I was stuck there for almost twenty years. Things finally eased up about two years ago and I jumped back in. Looking back, my heart wasn't in it and I was using "life" as as excuse. Not to say that that is what you are doing but there will never be more time in a day. I made the time because I wanted to. I expected some push back from the wife but she sees how happy playing makes me and she's totally in my corner.

6. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    It seems to be happening to me a lot lately. I have my gear sitting next to my desk and if I am not real busy, I will pick a bass for a few minutes here and there.

Life happens in waves. Sometimes you just have make the best use of the time in between the waves.

bobba66 and Gluvhand like this.
  7. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

It's been a heavy year for me is all. Things spun out of control after the summer, elderly parents, and parent in law both had health problems spin up that we needed to help with, one of the BILs is fighting cancer, we are helping him with keeping his business going, my business has been demanding, and the day job is trying to kill me...

My wife and I work close together (2 blocks away from each other). She likes to have lunch with me which steals into practice time for me as I used to bring my bass to work and literally play at lunch at my desk... She has time to make up this week though, I should have brought my bass in today!

8. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Currently there. I get down right depressed about it. I have finally accepted that my band of 10 years is really done. Very little opportunity to play with others in this small town, especially in a genre that I would enjoy. Going to try and hold out hope that I can retire someplace tropical and get a gig playing at resorts in another 20 years.

9. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass Supporting Member

May 6, 2009
    It's why I have an acoustic bass in my family room. I can always just pick it up for 30 seconds, 5 minutes, or whatever. It doesn't disrupt the family, I don't have to go somewhere else, and I can continue to work on technique and or scales. Play everyday. May be for a short period of time, but I try to play every day.

bobba66 and Polfuste like this.
  10. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

You gotta make time in your life. Even 30 minutes before bed, ya gotta just do it.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yup going thru it now family, job, coaching Daughters basketball team makes it hard. I grab what time I can and jam in the songs or song. I have two bands setlists to get down and gigs coming up...looks like a very late Saturday night practice for me.