1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Life line vs Full-Circle issues

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bluefizz, May 15, 2018.

1. bluefizz

bluefizz Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Los Angeles
    MTD, Bartolini Electronics, La Bella Strings
    I’m sure there is tons of info somewhere about this, but I figured I would start a thread.

Before a big band rehearsal last night I installed my Fishman Full Circle on my full carved that already had the Realist Life Line installed. I run the bass to a Fishman Platinum Stage Preamp, and to the House amp that I keep flat.

What I found was: the realist had lower volume then the full circle. It also was so dark I had to really turn up the low pass filter and kill all the low mids. Even with the preamp like this I had to crank up the preamp and amp volume, had a muddy tone, and super long sustain (no feedback).

I switched to the full circle half way through rehearsal and it sounded great (obviously with some eq changes). The director loved the tone.

Has anyone else had these issues? Everyone seems to rave about realist pickups, but they all seem to be overly dark and hard to get a true natural tone for me. I had the copper before switching to the full circle because I had the same issues.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    I once borrowed a Lifeline from a friend when my FC bit the dust. I sent it in to be repaired.

On my bass, the results were the same. There was a nicer punch to the low mids with the lifeline, but the overall tone was way too dark and had no higher frequency information at all. It was just a dull rumble. I have a cheaper ply bass, and the lifeline didn’t do it any favours in the character department.

There are people that love them, and I’ve heard a foil realist on a friend’s bass through a Leon DI that sounded massive and full of vibe and life. Every bass responds a bit differently, unfortunately.

3. bluefizz

Aug 8, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I bought the life line due to the white wire on the full circle being fragile and hoping doesn’t break off in the adjuster, and the ability to move the pickup between basses with out taking the whole bridge apart. Plus it’s always good to have a backup.

I’ve seen a lot of people use them live and get great sound, just not sure how they do it ha. I’ll probably roll with the full circle for now since I get the tone I’m looking for.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Realists, will be a bit darker than the Full Circle, that said the Realist is a better pickup for Arco passages. Natural tone is more domain of microphones, Like the Remic Red, DPA 4099Dvote, Ischell, Troll, and Xlson, but they are more expensive. :thumbsup:
    If you’re looking for a better tone out of the Full Circle the ToneDexter may be the something you should explore. If you’re happy with the Full Circle you could just list the Life Line in the TB classifides.

5. bluefizz

Aug 8, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You have any experience with these? Basically if I can use it in a big band setting it would work for me cause that’s usually the loudest environment I play in besides jazz clubs.

I’ll probably post the life line shortly. Between the two the full circle gives me the tone I’m looking for short of a microphone.

6. A mic will get a lot of bleed from other sources in a big band setting, mainly the drums. I tried that once and the tech said that there was too much drums in there.
    I used the full Circle instead after that try.
    A contact pickup might work, but in a loud band, getting through is more important than a nice tone. I also think it is more important that the other players hear or at least feel the note starts from the bass than a few notes that sound more natural when the winds are quiet.

7. bluefizz

Aug 8, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I figured that would happen if I used a mic with a big band. If anything the mic would be for jazz combos, studio, etc. having it go through a 2 channel preamp with the full circle before my amp.

8. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1

That’s been my trajectory too. Mic bleed is too significant in my world. So the Tonedexter has been where I’ve landed. Check out the thread for more info, it may be for you.

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Blue,
    I have lots of experience with all the microphones I listed, plus the Remic DB Live (Green), which I’ve had good luck with in conjunction with the Headway EDB-2. The Ischell, DPA DPA 4099 D Vote, Remic Green, all work well with large ensembles FOH. Running them back to your amp is where the difficuilty comes. So, the Full Circle will work better through your amp. I use the Ehrlund EAP
    back to the amp with a 12 piece ensemble. Again, the Ehrlund is way more expensive than your Full Circle.

Ric

10. bluefizz

Aug 8, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Im thinking of going with the DPA 4099 mic with an Headway Edb-2 running both the Mic with the full circle into it then to the amp. Or the ToneDexter preamp.

11. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The DPA 4099 D Vote is great at off axis rejection, since it is a minature shotgun design. I’ve used it many times into a Headway EDB-2 which powers the Phantom at 18 volts. It will give you a nice blend with the Full Circle. The ToneDexter is different, in that you would use it to Wave map your bass with the microphone of your choice. Once that’s done ✅ all you need is the ToneDexter and your existing pickup. The cost of the ToneDexter is $399.00. The DPA Headway combo is @ a $1,000.00.

Ric

Last edited: May 16, 2018