Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Life of unplayed strings on bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gord, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    I'm packing to go home from Japan, and I bought a set of strings that I haven't really seen anywhere else. They were fairly cheap and are completally pink, so I don't expect great sound quality but the novelty is there. Anyways, if I put the strings on and don't play them for a week or so, how will the life be? Will they die like normal or will there be no dirt and grime to affect it? Or is it the stretching that has an effect? Thanks guys

2. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Anyone? My friend said the atmosphere change might be bad for the strings or the neck in general

3. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    the bass will be ok, i think that taking the strings off will be a smart move for the neck.
    the strings will not feel as new strings but they will not die in any special way...unless you will put them in some place with lots of humidty like...Israel :D .

4. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    take all the strings right off the neck for the flight? I was taught never to take all the strings off at one time, the very thought seems so.. wrong!

5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    They shouldn't die. My strings are 6+ months old and still sound good (but granted, they're high quality strings) but still, you should be OK. I would leave them on the neck, maybe tune a half or whole step down for the trip. I wouldn't take them off. IMO, bass necks are designed to be straight. The stress from the truss rod (unless you own a Steinberger in which case it shouldn't matter) pulls the neck back against the force of the strings; without the string tension there, it causes it to bow backwards. I wouldn't ship it like that personally. If your bass is in a good case you'll be fine, just loosen them a hair.