1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Life span of the average toilet seat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by emblymouse, Apr 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    So I'm cleaning the bathroom this morning and darn if it isn't time for a new toilet set. Like a vintage Telecaster, the natural butt wear has worked through the finish revealing whatever the hell it's made of. Wait, didn't we just replace it about a year ago? OK, 2 years tops, but I remember we splurged on a nice one. This just does not seem right, how's your mileage? Be sure to divide by the number of users in your household:)

2. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Wot? :D

DirtDog likes this.
  3. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Useless without pics.

Robroy likes this.
  4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    life span depends on number (N) and total combined weight (W) of users multiplied by average total combined daily use (D) divided by Pi, divided by 24, divided by 12.
    to determine the life span of an average seat in your domicile use this formula -
    the result is read in months (M):

NxWxD/3.14159/24/12=M

Munjibunga, bassdude51, wizay and 4 others like this.
  5. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    It took ages to get the roadworn and relic look on our main toilet seat. I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon.

wizay, Marikk, Jeff Scott and 6 others like this.
  6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Speaking of toilet seats I am in the market for a new one. My tenant just moved out and left this creepy thing. It converts your toilet into a bidet and also a butt warmer. I Googled it and it sales for $799. Now I have to replace it with a normal seat. Gee, I wonder if I can sell this thing on Craig's list.

IMG_0151.JPG

Stumbo and knumbskull like this.
  7. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    What's creepy about it? Looks cool to me.

Mvilmany likes this.
  8. Stewie26

For some reason it looks creepy to me. Perhaps because when I opened the seat up it was very dirty and looked like it had not been cleaned for a long time.

Tbone76 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  9. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    they're cheaper if you order by the dozen.

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    simple solution:

thai-toilet-10.

I can recall going into the bathroom where most of the workers were Thai or Malay, and the one Western style stall was occupied.
    So you'd wait for the stall to become available only to find footprints on the seat :bored:
    all the previous occupant had to do was walk one stall further to get a toilet like the one in the photo above

Tbone76 and Stewie26 like this.
  11. Stewie26

How does one flush that thing?

12. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    You just pour water over it with that little bowl.
    if you pour enough, whatever is in there will go out

Stewie26 likes this.
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That bidet is a nice piece of electronics. Two recent trips to Japan confirm this.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  14. Stewie26

The tenant who vacated the property was also Asian. You would think one would not abandon an $800. toilet seat and take it with you.

15. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I love having a bidet so much that I installed one like in my photo above. It saves on TP.

16. blastoff99

blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA
    I guess I wonder who keeps track of when they bought a toilet seat. I mean, there are things I put dates on in permanent marker (batteries for cordless tools, specifically) to give me an idea how long the item has lasted, but it never occurred to me to do this to a toilet seat. Besides, I'm pretty sure Sharpie would vanish after a dose or two of my bathroom cleaner.

17. mscBass

mscBass

Apr 15, 2017
    Those padded ones seem cheesy, but they're actually really nice. They last 5-6 years in my experience.

18. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Oh, I forgot to mention that we had to actually find sold rings for the toilets, because the ones that had the little supports on the bottom got broken from people standing on them:

upload_2017-4-22_19-35-9.
    these are the kind that broke easily if stood on, LOL

BTW, don't sit on a cracked one, because it will pinch you, and that hurts more than you'd think :eek:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  19. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    ...They don't make them like they used to - or if they do, Home Depot and Lowes don't have those ones. I'm particularly impressed (yet negatively) by the "oak" one that turns out to be molded veneer (or is it plastic?) cut (or printed) to look like solid boards over a crappy chipboard center (which I know about since it's failing to hold screws so the seat is falling off the hinges.)

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

What's the expiration date on your toilet seat say?
    That's MOJO you're looking at! Never wipe off the MOJO. ;) :laugh:

Out, as in onto the bathroom floor, out? :eek: :woot: