1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lifeline installed under Full Circle

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Grant the Canuk, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Grant the Canuk

Grant the Canuk Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Ottawa, ON. Canada
    Has anybody tried this? Any risk of damaging the FC?

I just bought a used Lifeline as a backup and I want to try it out, but I already have a full circle installed and it's a lot of trouble to swap out a bridge adjuster just for a test. It's probably fine to try it out, right?

Oops. I made an error in my original post. It's corrected now and the correction is in bold

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I would think is would be fine since the Lifeline is designed to be mounted that way just make sure you follow the mounting instructions for the Life Line. Mark Gollihur posted them in a different thred recently. You have to losen the strings and mount the Life Line
    on the smooth side of the adjuster.

"To clarify for all, because I've had customers confused before - the pickup is designed to go on the non-threaded side of the adjuster. Meaning, you don't unscrew the adjuster, slip in the pickup, and re-tighten the adjuster by screwing it against the pickup. You need to remove the string tension, actually pull out the non-threaded post from the side of the adjuster that is always flat against the wood, and put the pickup between there.

If you've got it on the threaded side of the post, that is exactly your problem. If it's not, and you have it installed correctly"

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 6.28.27 PM.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Grant the Canuk likes this.
  3. Grant the Canuk

Aug 19, 2008
    Ottawa, ON. Canada
    Thanks Rick, I'm actually worried about damaging the diodes in the full circle, they are located on the edge of the adjuster wheel where the lifeline gets installed.

4. As far as I know there are no diodes in the Full Circle and it doesn't make much sense electrically.
    The cable might become damaged if you try to turn the wheel and have mounted the Lifeline in a bad orientation (but at the right side of the Full Circle).
    I think turning the wheel of the Full Circle might be a lot harder with the Lifeline installed. Not sure if the Lfeline can get damaged by the friction.

Grant the Canuk likes this.
  5. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    All of the components of the full circle are internal on the pickup, and are not damaged by friction against the wood of the bridge or, in this case, the metal of the lifeline pick up. I have several customers who have reported having both on their bass at the same time and have not had issues.

Mouldy, Grant the Canuk and Tom Lane like this.
  6. Grant the Canuk

Aug 19, 2008
    Ottawa, ON. Canada
    OK, I'm gonna try it. Thanks guys!

7. Grant the Canuk

Aug 19, 2008
    Ottawa, ON. Canada
    There's something on the hot side of the wheel, 4 small posts. They might just be screws to hold the pickup together.

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    That is exactly what they are. On the newer version of the pickup, there are screws to allow you to disassemble and repair it. The original generation of them were not repairable.

9. Grant the Canuk

Aug 19, 2008
    Ottawa, ON. Canada
    Just to close the loop on this thread, Thanks everyone for the great information and opinions.

I did try out the Life Line on the same adjuster that I have a Full Circle installed and it did no discernable damage to either pickup. Its installed on a Shen SB150 Hybrid 3/4 scale bass with adjusters threads up. Spiro mitts EAD and Gamut pistoy medium G.

I really like the sound of the Life Line, Pizz it's definitely darker and fuller than the FC. The front of the note is less edgy than with the FC and it's harder to hear the difference between the gut and the steel strings to my ear. Maybe some day soon I'll miss that front edge and switch back to the FC.

Very nice sound under the bow (as far as bowing spiros goes). Dark and woody. I bought it as a backup while my FC was being repaired/replaced, but may make the Life Line my main pickup.

10. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    ......Spiro mitts EAD and Gamut pistoy medium G.....

+1!

11. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Now that you're 15 months further down the line, how's the lifeline going and do you miss the FC?

12. Grant the Canuk

Aug 19, 2008
    Ottawa, ON. Canada
    I eventually stopped using the Lifeline and sold it. I just couldn't get the clarity that I was looking for out of the Lifeline.

Mouldy likes this.
  13. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    There is no ‘good’ pickup and no ‘bad’ pickup. It depends on which bass it’s fitted to. I’ve got a Lifeline on a bright bass and the amplified sound is clear and solid. And I’ve got an Underwood on an old ply bass which gives a similar sound.

But you’ve got to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince(ss).

Mark Gollihur, Ric Vice and lrhbass like this.