1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lifetime BEAD player transitioning to 5 Strings, the G string is my problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davyo, May 9, 2017.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    My history, SHORT version.

Started playing bass at 14 years old in the 80's.

Got my first 5 banger when I was about 19, loved the B string but couldn't get used to a 5 banger.

Asked a guitar tech if I could string my 4 banger BEAD, he said it was impossible and it would break my bass neck, so of course on his bad advice I went home and set up my first BEAD bass (back in the 80's BEAD bass's were not really done, at least I had never heard of it ever being done before)

Been doing BEAD on ALL my bass's ever since I was 19 years old and have never owned a EADG bass in all that time.

Present Day: Just got an Ibanez SR305E 4 weeks ago and transitioning from BEAD to the 5 banger.

My issue is getting used to that G string and of course getting used to the tighter string spacing muscle memory thing, mostly with my right hand, I use a pick 95% of the time.

Anyhow, I find it personally entertaining that unlike most changing from a 4 banger to a 5 and their problem is getting used to the B string, my issue is just the opposite in getting used to my G string.

Any other BEAD players switch to a 5 banger and experience the same G string challenge ?

Cheers
    Davyo

eJake likes this.
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    No, but my story might be somewhat germane...same sort of mental glitch perhaps:

I started on 4-string bass in 1974
    Got my first 6-string in 1988. Didn't take very long to get used to the low B or high C strings.
    Got my first BEADG 5-string in 1996. Having already been used to the low B string from the previous eight years of playing 6-string, didn't have any problem at all with the low B string.
    Got my first EADGC 5-string in 2015. I'll be damned, but for some reason I just can not get my head wrapped around that high C string ...even though I've been playing a 6-string bass with a high C for the past 29 years!!!

Go figger.

3. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Huh, that is odd,,, I would think in your case the only thing you would have to adapt to would be the string spacing between a 5 and 6 bass.

Cheers
    Davyo

gebass6 likes this.
  4. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Banger

lz4005 likes this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    x... the G string is my problem."

That's what she said... Seinfeld.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You need a 19mm spaced 5 my friend. Welcome to the big neck club.

I can go from 4 to 19mm 5 without blinking. But a narrower 5 drives me nuts. I have to actually look at my hands to play the dang things.

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm just glad both of yours are working!

two fingers likes this.
  8. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Just play it. You will get used to that G in about a week or so...
    As for the string spacing....

Consider a Sire or a Lakland Skyline.. or an MTD Kingston 5....

9. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I'm convinced after reading threads like these, and from personal experience, that we unconsciously landmark using the lowest string on our instrument.

A player moving from an EADG 4 to a BEADG 5 has trouble because his landmark changed.

With you, your landmark moved from a BEADG 5, to an EADGC 5. That landmark change f'd you up.

You'll get used to it with enough time.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  10. Downtune your G to D (two "D" strings) & see if that helps. Or remove the G string (temporary, few hours) until you acclimatise to the new bass.

BEADG I adjusted to quickly,
    BEADGC was OK, but
    EADGC stumps me too.
    EADGBE (Bass VI) is fine though.

11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ha! Yeah, I play guitar too, and oddly enough I never get confused about what notes are where on the guitar, regardless of how recently I was just playing 4-, 5-, or 6-string bass.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Good choices. Ibanez BTB 5s are worth a look as well. I think the Hammersmith 5s are about to be in the wild and 19mm but @MarkoYYZ might be able to correct me on that.

Sav'nBass likes this.
  13. Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I thought he was moving from a BEAD 4 to a BEADG 5....

14. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I was quoting @Bob_Ross.

He moved to a 5er EADGC.

"damned, but for some reason I just can not get my head wrapped around that high C string ...even though I've been playing a 6-string bass with a high C for the past 29 years!!!"

15. Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Ah!

tfer likes this.