lifting weights

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dancing_chris, May 20, 2007.

1. dancing_chris

dancing_chris

Feb 17, 2006
    Hey Guys,

I was wandering if any of you bassplayers here exercise and lift weights? I am asking because if you do, did you ever have problems in your playing because of it? Does lifting weights actually ruin your speed or technqiue and cordination? What can you do against it? Any input is appreciated:)

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I actually experienced the opposite. When I started lifting, my warwick monstrosity (17 lbs) didn't kill my back so much after a 4 set night. I've experienced less fatigue with no loss of dexterity. Assuming that is I don't do something stupid and pull a muscle.

3. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It's good for you...
    When I had a carpal-tunnel-type pain in my wrists, doing forward and reverse wrist curls helped a lot, again with no loss of dexterity.
    I also play violin (which is much more delicate) and that was not harmed either.

4. Hey dancing chris

Do a search in the Off Topic area - there are heaps of threads about this. A lot of us (myself included) are involved in the fitness/weight-loss industry.

Feel free to PM me if you want any specific advice.

Good luck

5. Pete C

Pete C

Feb 23, 2007
    New York
    I've been bodybuilding (casually) for two years and haven't noticed any problems with speed.

6. I've been exercising both with weights and through body-weight training for at least 10 years.

I actually have a harder time playing bass when not in shape the stronger my abdominals, lower back muscles and forearms are the more comfortable I feel.

When it comes to playing bass there was only one sport/exercise that I found I could NOT do while being a bass player and this goes for guitarists and drummers too...rock climbing. The better you get at it and the more fun you have the harder it takes a toll on your fingers and hands along with the ligaments in your fingers. I had to pick one or the other so I went with bass obviously...

With weights-I am only careful if I have to play that day...I stay away from working out biceps and forearms that day.

Dancing Chris:I don't know what your goal is in exercising but I am currently doing Strength and Endurance training with weights lots of cardio.

15 minute cardio warmup
    Sets 25-20-15-10
    Increment every set 5 pounds on major muscles (bench press, t-bar, leg press)
    Increment 2.5 or stay the same weight for a few sets on smaller muscles (biceps, triceps, chest-flys)
    30 mins cardio post workout (olyptical/running/swimming)

Basically Mass is not my goal right now, just strength. PM me if you'd like more info.

7. dancing_chris

dancing_chris

Feb 17, 2006
    wow thanks so much for the responses:) , you guys are so kind!

I have to agree, if your overall feeling and state is better, including your physical fitness, it will probably also have a better affect on your playing. Even if you are a (professional) musician you should not sacrifice your body and health:scowl: .

I am asking because I have heard from a few people that lifting weights can actually have a bad effect on your playing such as, loss of speed and sensitivity.

For myself, I have been doing sports since the age of 4, and lifting weights since about 16 years old (now 22). Next to music, sports & exercising were always a great part of my life that I do not want to miss out on, even if I now have music as my "job".

From my experience, the only time that lifting weights interferes with your fingers and feeling, is when you try to play right after you have worked out. Your arms and fingers may still be "pumped up" and a bit shaky, so it probably isnt a good idea to work out right before a gig etc.

Right now I do lots of cardio and weight lifiting (for me its the best way to free you mind and the best balance when you do music full time). When lifting weights my goal is not to gain too much mass, but rather to gain strength and definition (less weight more repetion, just like "Risin Ashes" stated).

Anyway, thanks again for all your guys' input, its just great! I recomenned to anyone to do sports and keep your body in shape. So if you have anything to share on that topic feel free. Any further ideas, thoughts or maybe routines of exercising, just post here!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021