Light, 2U semi-powerful head for under $700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm planning out a summer purchase to augment my soon to be finished Fender Bassman 100 and LDS 2x12 / 2x6 tube rig. I'm thinking I might have Don at LDS build me a small neo combo, either 2x8 or 1x12, with a 2U space for a head on top. I could slide my GK 400 in there, but there are two worries - not enough power through a 3-way hi-fi cabinet, and the vent on top.

I like the GK tone, but am not totally averse to trying new things. Tons of knobs doesn't necessarily mean good for me. I'd like to keep it under 20lbs, and ideally I'd have 500ish watts at 4 ohms.

I've looked at the Thunderfunk, but it doesn't look like it's for me. I liked what I saw in the Ashdown 500, but it is probably too heavy to make for an effective lightweight combo. Price is a constraint, but there is really no rush at all for getting this thing. If something is on the horizon (i.e. released within a year) that looks like it'd suit me, I might hold off until then. In the meantime, I'd put my GK there, but what are some other options?
  2. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI

A used Eden WT550 might be perfect for what you are describing. I also know that Eden heads sound really good with the LDS cabs...

One question though...what was it that you didn't like about the Thunderfunk? The Eden sounds really close, with a little more of that tube warmth...
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

If you can do a bit over 20 lbs (but under 30), a Eden/Nemesis NA650 is a good choice. 2U, goes down to 2 ohms, etc. It's very close in specs and tone to a WT550 but costs you a hint of tube warmth and overdrive as it's cranked. I love mine!
  4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    The GK 1001RB-II is available new for $600.
    You already like the tone and with 700w you should be plenty loud.
    Sounds like it's right up your alley!