Light as Aer...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Swampish, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    So, it has been a month or so of mixed emotions. After years of playing my Sterling Music Man, I made the jump and invested in one of my bucket list basses, a 2004 Ernie Ball MusicMan (see pic). Beautiful beast and sounds great. However, the weight was too much for me! I have a ton of back issues, but I thought I could hack it. Apparently, not. Well, not comfortably anyway. So as much as it pained me (pun intended), I ended up having to sell it and getting a Fender Aerodyne which I LOVE! It is so light, the neck is really fast, the P/J pups sound fabulous and it looks gorgeous! This bass is a real pleasure to play!
    There are a lot of threads looking at and for lightweight basses and I would suggest giving the Aerodyne a try.

IMG_20190914_080744.jpg IMG_20191003_184003.jpg IMG_20191003_184017.jpg IMG_20191003_184022.jpg

2. One of my favorite body styles...

BnB

Spidey2112 and Swampish like this.
  3. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I like the Aerodynes so much that I have three: the Jazz, the Strat, and the Tele. All in piano black.

4. I, as a proponent of basses with mass to them, actually very much like the Aerodyne. It feels good, plays good, and sounds good...it IS good.

5. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Sweet!

chupacerveza likes this.
  6. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    It's funny, my best sounding basses have always been heavier ones. That having been said, circumstances have forced me away from them. That having been said, yes, the Aerodyne really delivers. Between it and my American Performer Precision, it's a cool 1-2 punch (I still have my Sterling MusicMan which is also quite light and playable versus the Ernie Ball-from a weight perspective).

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If you get the chance, try a set of Pressurewounds on it...

8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    ... I don't own one, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night.

9. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    :laugh:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Not familiar with them at all. What qualities do they bring? Bright, boomy?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm going to say both... I have them on a Highway One Jazz, going through a GK MB500/Neo 212... plenty of boom, not too bright, but plenty of punch... and they are hexcore construction too, I believe.

Swampish likes this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

NBD?

doesn't matter: aerodynes have always appealed to me as well --- yours is really nice! congrats on finding an instrument that suits you! :thumbsup:

13. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Might give them a try! Always nice to bring the boom!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks!

JRA likes this.
  15. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Congrats! What's the weight btw?

16. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Didn't weight it myself, but supposed to be about 7 lbs! Ridiculous!

MYLOWFREQ and chupacerveza like this.
  17. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Congrats on the Dyne! It was a bass that I coveted for a couple of years before I could finally get my hands on one to try, and I bought it after playing for about 5 minutes. I love the tone, the playability, the feel, the looks, the weight, everything about this bass! It's my workhorse (and stays in tune!). I play my others when the job calls for it, but when in doubt: Aerodyne!

Are they still using rosewood for the fretboard? Yours looks a little lighter than mine, although of course there is always variation in wood color and lighting could certainly play a role. Here's a picture of mine. Meet Jules:
    Aerodyne.jpg

(yes, my basses have names)

May you enjoy yours as much as I do mine, and for many years!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  18. technocraft

technocraft Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 15, 2013
    South Florida
    Chief Pedal Genie
    My Aerodyne is my #1. Love love love.

30080110_191649871617123_5428241391106916352_n.jpg

19. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Enjoy your NBD:bassist:

Love my aerodyne! I wasn’t satisfied with the stock issue and changed some stuff. Now it plays so easy it feels like cheating.

I saw someone else noticed also, the fretboard is no longer stained (ebony tint)?

Swampish likes this.
  20. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Nice! And yes, seems like just a lighter shade on mine (I think!).

BOOG and DrThumpenstein like this.