1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

light bass distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by korey L, Sep 29, 2010.

1. korey L

korey L

Jul 21, 2010
    I am looking for a light distortion pedal. I play alternative and rock. Please help

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I would suggest VT Bass or OCD. I really like both. VT will give u more shaping options and the drive is very good IMO, OCD will give u from light distortion to fuzzy if you need to get nasty from time to time.

3. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    DOD YJM308 Preamp/Overdrive, basically Ynjwie's take on a DOD 250 Preamp, and for $30

4. Retrogamer64

Retrogamer64

Sep 29, 2010
    if you want just a little crunch and not alot of distortion you should try using an ibanez bass comp and turn the attack and sustain all the way up. it sounds pretty cool and has a nice rock sound to it as well as adding a bit of definition to your sound. of course that just my opinion and you may or may not like it but you should definatly try it next time your at a guitar center or other music store that carrys them

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The ibanez pd-7 phat-hed bass overdrive pedal and the voodoo lab sparkle drive would be a good choice for a light distortion.

6. I use the Fulltone OCD for this.

7. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    +2

8. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Durham Sex Drive. Warm, soft, furry tubey overdrive plus compression. Not gritty or grindy... more cuddly than any OD pedal I've ever tried for bass. It's glorious.

9. dan.africano

dan.africano

Sep 21, 2010
    Sansamp.

10. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Depends on the kind of distortion tone you're after...
    Personally I'd suggest a modified BOSS DS-1 (look for Bassjunkie730's topic on modding your own, it's a killer sounding mod!) or a Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass pedal from the ones I've tried and liked.

Not so much a fan of the OCD V.4 I own on bass, but maybe it's just my personal preference or that I'm not using the same settings as others.

11. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    ZVex Distortron. Sounds good, easy to use, small, low current draw. Has a switch for adding subharmonics.

12. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
  13. tech21 VT

14. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    bad monkey, pork loin, anything with a blend!

15. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    VT bass, but if you don't want to spend that much then just get an Ibanez Tubescreamer. I've used one before I got my VT and had good results

16. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    HBE Hematoma... More of an overdrive, but gets really grindy...

17. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Barber B-Custom Cool works very well for this application.

18. +2 for the pork loin

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021