Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassbarbie, Sep 1, 2001.

1. I am a small, female bass player and play a Musicman Sterling. I love the sound and playability as well as the gorgeous figured maple neck. Recently I've been doing more singing in our band and find the 10.5 lbs weight oppressive as I gasp for breath. Can anyone recommend a lighter, quality bass that would sound as good?

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    A Sterling is as pretty small and light as you can get. Maybe an Ibanez Soundgear, Or a American Deluxe Jazz / P bass.

There are these basses by Curbow called "international petite", but they cost about £2000.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    what i can suggest is to try different basses on the strap, some models have different weight.it's a matter of woods more than models. basswood is a light but resonant wood. for example fender precision and jazz are really different one from the other. i own and play a sweet japanese JV serie squierjazz bass that is light! or if you are not afraid you could try a hollow body bass with short scale(danelectro, epiphone rivoli or epiphone jack casady-long scale-, de armond starfire...) .
    hope it helps

marco

4. I just sold a Carvin bolt-on bass, the main reason being it was simply too light for me, and didn't hang comfortably. It couldn't have been more than 6.5/7 pounds.

mike

5. Funny that! I did use to own a Soundgear 500! I didn't sing much then though. I loved the slim neck, but like the Fenders I've tried, I did find that it was a bit of a stretch reaching the 1st frets - pathetic isn't it? You see my arms aren't too long either! The Sterling neck is bigger but inexplicably it seems easier to play- maybe the neck profile or something?

Have only heard of Curbow but know nothing about them - I'd be interested to learn more. Petite sounds good!

p.s just reweighed it - 11lbs on my latest scales.

6. Just getting the hang of this replying.....

Different woods yep, mine's ash, and the review I read of the Sterling definitely put the weight at less than mine, so it must've been something different.

I hadn't thought of hollow bodies, but worth checking out - just like the Carvin - thanks for that.

Anybody ever tried these small headless Steinbergers? I'm not keen on their looks but if they sound good and are easy to play....

7. You could try serveral things.. a wider strap ( with perhaps, a soft-pad on it ) could do the trick..

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Another short-scale option would be the Epiphone EB-0.
    Not a lotta' tone "options", but easy to get around on
    and light...

[​IMG]

For long scales, the Yamaha RBX260 and`70 are light (alder
    bods) and surprisingly good quality for bein' so "cheap".
    And the only online store I've seen carryin' the new`270
    fretless is in the U.K. :( :D (click).

If money's no concern, maybe a...umm...Rob Allen? :rolleyes:
    Hollowed-out innards, less than seven pounds, even
    available ::cough:: fretted :) .

9. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    http://www.curbow.com/objects/petite.html

It has a list price of $4,895. :eek:

BTW, welcome to talkbass :)

10. Thanks for the welcome! I'm overwhelmed at the response already ...

Just been to that curbow website and I think I'm in love! They sound like they may not be terribly light, but look small and manageable... and certainly something to dream about.

Barb

11. status graphite, made right there in the u.k.

12. Theres always an Ashbory, i think it's only 2.5 pounds or something like that, im looking in to one right now but i can't find any to try out

[​IMG]

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Take a look at the Fender P-Bass Lyte Deluxe.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I second the Zon recommendation.

I own a Sonus Custom fretless 5, and it only weighs about 7 1/2 lbs. A four would be at least a pound less.

Also, the Pedulla Rapture, Rapture PJ or J2. The 4 string version of these only weighs about 8 lbs.

15. Another vote for the Zon. Light and very comfortable to play.

Of course, Sadowskys are also very light if you're looking for a Jazz bass tone...

Jeff

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I may stand corrected, but that bass was created to simulate an upright.

I think the lightest bass you'll find is a Danelectro Longhorn.

They run about $210 brand new, they're short scale, 24 frets, hollow body...

I've never weighed mine, but I'm sure it's around 5 lbs.

If you can't breathe one of them, you're not going to breathe with any bass. :)

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Zons are amazing.

If price is a factor, look into Reverend basses. They're semi-hollow and lighter.

18. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    You could always try Danelectros, the singer from NoFX started using one because he has a bad back and needed a light bass.

But I guess that would be a pretty big downgrade from the Sterling. So the Zon would probably be best.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive heard Zon's are great, but they cost about as much as a cheap car.

If you think the Corts are nice, perhaps youd like a Spector. IMO they have a better tone than Cort, and overall are better quality bass.

www.spectorbass.com

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Problem is, Spectors are heavy. She is looking for a light bass.