Light-blue silk windings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Craig H, May 5, 2001.

1. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I just bought a '57 RI Precision that has roundwounds with light blue silk. They sound great and I'd like to replace them with the same with that time comes. Any ideas on what they might be?

BTW, they are 45/65/80/100.

2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Did ya' get the bass new? If so, I think they're Fender's
    7250ML "Super Bass" set. Here's some at Just Strings.
  3. More likely that they are the Fender's.. but Dean Markley Blue Steel's also have light blue windings at both ends.
  4. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the replies. It is a new bass, but could have been restrung prior to me buying it. All of the Fender 7250's I've ever bought had black silk.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have Blue Steels on my Precision... they have silver-colored silk on them, almost the same color as the strings. I haven't used many D'Addario strings, but don't they have lots of different colors of silk? I tried some Chromes, the silk was maybe royal blue.
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    'K, I just checked the Fender site, and it says that the '57 RI comes with 7250's in the guage you describe, and in the pic of the bass, it looks like the silk could be light blue.

7. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Well, whaddya know! It sure looks like the '57 RI on the website has blue silk windings. Thanks for the info, flatwound! My CS Vintage Precision, which is also supposed to have 7250's has black silk, which confused me. (Actually, it doesn't take much!)

Thanks for the help.
  8. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Dean Markley blue steels in nickle have blue silk.The blue steels in stainless have silver.Good luck!
  9. Hmm.. could have sworn mine were steel. I'll take your word for it though.. the box they came from has long been discarded. They've been a great set of strings regardless of what they're made of.. also the longest lasting. They are just starting to go dead.. I think it's almost been 6 months.. maybe 5 and a half.
  10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Zon Ultrasonics have light blue silk ends and the steel set I used kept its brightness for a while...