1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

light cab for deep bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wideyes, Oct 24, 2013.

1. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Hey folks! I'm changing genres, so to speak (wanting to play some more electronically-influenced, dnb stuff), and looking for something with fidelity and clarity in the lower registers. I'm also looking for the most portable option. It seems to me that the right 410 is still my best bet, but I haven't kept my finger on the pulse in the cab world. My priorities are, in descending order:

1). Low weight
    2). Affordable
    3). Deep bass
    4). Small size

I'm open to other cab configurations if you think they'd better fit the bill. What do you think?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Acme Flatwound or Full Range might be a good option.

3. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    Those descriptions are kinda subjective.

What to you is inexpensive? Lightweight etc..

You are probably just going to get people telling you their favorite brand.

4. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Sure, I could see that. I'm phrasing them as priorities, so lightweight is first most important. Then price, then depth of tone, etc. I know it's all subjective, so I figure if I rank my needs, it helps the winnowing process.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Take a close look at GK Neo 112 and also Fender's Rumble 112 Neo. They are both the same $400 and approximate size. The Fender is a little lighter than the GK. Take your pick as they are both very good.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pick any three and get back to us. For instance, if you drop #2, then the Bergantino CN212 meets all your other requirements spectacularly.

7. Yeah, something has to give. If you need light and cheap you can't have low.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Why do you think so? :eyebrow:

If your automatic go-to option is still a 4x10, you may be shocked to learn just how much has changed since you were last in the game. The current thing is high-excursion Neodymium 12" & 15" woofers, loaded into highly-engineered two-way & three-way cabs that have been specially designed around the capacities of their components.

Search Acme, Audiokinesis, Baer, Barefaced, Bergantino, fEARful, and fEARless, for starters. You owe it to yourself to get fully up to speed, before you make any hard & fast decisions. :eyebrow:

MM

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The ACME Full Range is a 12", 2-way cab while the Flatwound is a simple 12" driver in a cab designed for low-end Jammerson style thump. Great cabs. The price is not cheap but their value is high for the price IMO. They're up there with the best cabs, it's a matter of sound preference at this point.

10. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
  11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Not cheap but I built my fEARful 15/6 for about $700 out of Italian Poplar with a weight of 43LBS. Probably one of the loudest, lightest, lowest cabs you can have (it *can* get loud and low depending on your amp's eq and power)...

...but if you want to play you gotta pay.

12. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    fearful, fearful, fearful (chanted with with pom poms flapping). Deeper, louder, bigger, meaner, radder, cooler, badder, etc. I've never played one but that's the answer this thread is begging for ;)

If you can't afford one your rig will suck in comparison. sorry buddy......

OR- you could find any fairly reliable cab and rock it. Go neo if you need to save on weight. Go modular if you like ceramic but don't want to lug a 90lb 410. 10s, 12s, 15s- no worries- pick a good box and all is good in the world. Go avatar if you need to save money.

Or, if you have tools, go the FF route and build your own rig.

tons of options- GK seems right up your alley.....

13. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    If you are looking in the $400 range, you might consider a GK MBEII-115. It only weighs 33lbs and has a neo 15" and a tweeter. It's on the GK lower end, but does sound good and has some serious low end. Just my opinion and my 2 cents.

14. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    A DIY fEARful 12/6 with Alpha mid driver meets all your requirements IF you can find an Eminence 3012LF for a decent price.

15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

+10 and as Munji posted, you won't find light, low, small and cheap, period. You will have to compromise somewhere. It's like asking for a vehicle that's large, comfortable, amazing on gas, fast, luxurious and cheap :)

EDIT-it's true that if you can build it yourself, a fEarful 12/6 WILL check all your boxes.

16. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    NEO single 15 light as heck...

17. Ampeg 810e...

Oh wait that doesnt meet any of your requirements... :ninja:

I will second those that recommend a fEARful 12/6. If you can build it yourself, it will meet your needs.

18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have a GK neo 410 myself and it packs major punch! Not that heavy for a 410 either and was affordable for me. Also think the GK neo 212's would be a great choice for lightweight, affordable and bumpin cabs. Those are the only lighter weighted cabs Ive really dealt with.

19. My 7 string is tuned down to g#beadgc (yes g# instead of f#) and i use an ampeg 410he, I previously used a 810e for a decade. I prefer non ported cabs for thier clarity when going low. I've tried just about everything and cabs with a tighter more focused sound actually work better down low imo than the cabs with lower frequency ranges. If you have an amp that can put out at least 400w at 8 ohms id give the 410he a shot. In my opinion because o the wheels its actually easier to move than smaller cabs. I stack my rack on mine, carry my bass in a gig bag on my back and can load in in one trip.

As far as your priority lists the 410he is the lightest 410 loaded with ceramics I've picked up. It's pretty small as it doesn't have a bunch of extra area for ports. Not as small as the swr golight 410s but smaller than a lot of 410s. Price wise they are a fantastic deal. And like i said the clarity of a sealed cab will help the low notes come ou nice and clear.

My biggest issue with the 410he is it needs a good amount of power to sound its best. I use a swr750x as a power amp for mine so i give it 450w@8 Ohms. you have to keep in mind its an 8 ohm cab. It doesnt work well with SS amps that only put out like 150w @8 ohms.
    Also Just like the 810e its kinda lifeless with scooped mids at low volumes. But turned up the frequency range becomes more even and they sound great. I actually prefer the 410he over the 810e for that reason. With the 810 i was constantly told to turn down. So I'd rather have the 410he cranking than the 810 turned down because i prefer the tone of the 410 being pushed harder.

20. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    My fEARful 12/6 cost me $450 to build and weighs 39 lbs. Deep bass and fits in the passenger seat of my Miata.