1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Light cab for unsecure area: go cheap or lock it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by richperson, Apr 30, 2009.

1. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    I play modern praise and worhip at church with a 5-string MTD jazz bass. I have been using an Ashdown Mag Mon 112 for years (DI to the house PA) and would like to step up my rig and be able to take part home with me. I play in a space that fits up to 300 people with high ceilings.

I have a car with very limited space (convertible) so hauling a cab around is difficult. I would like to get a new head (likely Shuttlemax 6.0 or LMII) and then a 30-45 lb cab to go with it. The problem is that the cab needs to remain at the church, put away in a non-secure equipment room. A few years ago a former bass player had his Trace Elliot combo stolen, so theft is a real possibility. I have to move the cab from the equipment room every Sunday (through a narrow opening and up some stairs) so smallish and light would be nice.

My options (I'm open to suggestions)

1) by a the Schroeder 1215L that I want and try to chain it up in the equipment room, or otherwise make it unappealing to take (put a kryptonite lock through the carry handles; or

2) by a relatively cheap cab (Avatar?) so I don't have to worry as much if it gets taken.

Any thoughts?

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    At church? Lock it down, baby! I've (figuratively) seen more stuff walking out of a church than any other place. Heck, I'd even BOLT on a loop that I could run a cable through. Don't leave anything around for temptation.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If it's light - carry it home ... FWIW I gig the Avatar SB-112 - you aren't necessarily taking a big step down with that cab. YMMV and all that ...

4. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Your Church isn't insured against theft?

It is true that Churches can be a target due to the open doors and available sound equipment. So if you are not insured, and the Church would not replace stolen gear, don't upgrade.

I bought "special" gear just so I could leave it at Church. A small Behringer combo that I DI to the system, and an Ibanez GSR200 (bought on ebay for 80 bucks) that I leave sitting on a stand right by my amp and chair. After many years, no one seems to be interested in my beginner type stuff, and it still does the job during services.

Keep your high dollar stuff at home. Taking stuff back and forth is just a hassle.

5. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Chain and padlocks are cheap, so not a bad idea.

Bolt-cutters are also cheap, so you might want to minimise your potential losses by not leaving the good stuff behind.

6. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    you can also buy a cabinet that is so unbelievably heavy that it wouldn't be worth it for thieves to steal it. They have to be in and out in very little time, so they won't have time to lug a giant amp around (of course, this response is a little outrageous).

I don't think it matters what you get, if the church doesn't lock up anything, someone with disrespecting values is going to steal it, and if they find your gear, they will take it. Avatar has some really good cabs, and their 210 NEO's are very light, and can handle a decent amount of power which makes it easy to cart around. Personally, I would either insist that the church at least lock the room that the equipment is stored in, or insist that you take it home.

7. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    The equipment room does lock, but somehow somebody got in and took this guy's TE setup anyway. I can't go with a really heavy cab because I would need to move it up on stage every weekend. I may end up going with the kryptonite lock through the carry handle, maybe locked to an amp stand or something. That way at least it would look very strange to see someone with all this stuff hanging off it and it would be harder to move and or sell.

8. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Kryptonite locks would work. If you had two you could anchor the cab to a water pipe?

9. Get a well used cab that looks like crap, but sounds good. And lock it.

10. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Here you go, all you need "Siren Padlock Alarm":

"Keep your bike, garage door, garden shed, side gate, tool box or locker, or anything you desire secure with this Heavy Duty Siren Alarm Padlock. This lock comes equipped with two settings, armed and unarmed, so you can be alerted by a 96 - 98 db alarm when the lock is tampered with. Basically, double the protection. The Heavy Duty Siren Alarm Padlock has a body made of extra strong cast steel as well as a high-grade steel shackle."

[​IMG]

http://www.smarthome.com/81011/Heavy-Duty-Siren-Alarm-Padlock-SAP-01/p.aspx

11. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Ooh, I just thought of a new invention. A lock like above, but you can plug it into your amp and cab and get 120-130 db.

12. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Several ideas:

Buy a piece of crap combo, insure it heavily as a collectible limited edition Marshall stack and when it walks away collect. Church? There's only 1 safe way with a church, the church office.

Chain whatever you have to the organ.

Put it in the equipment room, sit on a chair in the back of the room with a bag lunch and a baseball bat and when the next thief comes through send him to meet Jesus.

Praise the lord hallelujah.

Artist formerly known as BOB

PS. You need a combo you can carry to church

13. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    I have been using a portable combo (Ashdown Mag Mon 12), which was worked okay, but had two issues. First, the sound is great for what it is, but I'm ready for more. Second, the Ashdown doesn't fit well in my car and is much heavier than carrying a lightweight head. Third, I want to leave the cab and take the head because things get bumped around in the equipment room. I am now having my input pot replaced and a nob added because they both got smashed in by someone else moving equipment.

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi richperson.

How about a small trailer?

15. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Yeah we're going to jump right into this whole line of thinking again... Its a vicious circle. Small trailer, how about a VAN? Yeah there's no way to win. Back to the baseball bat.

YOU KNOW... In all seriousness... I just had a flash.. POOF, owe that hurt.

YOU BUY WHATEVER YOU WANT and then buy a lockable ATA case for it and chain it to the furnace gas pipe. Not only when you are ready to haul it home, you have nice wheels on the bottom and start rolling, but it will keep the janitor from busting off the GO KNOB while you aren't looking.

If you are Jewish you could put in stencil on the case; WARNING BIOHAZARD -CIRCUMCISION REMNANTS... Stuff like that could scare the crap outta da straights...

BOB

16. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Well, I just can't get myself to put a trailer hitch on the back of my Corvette. It would be quite a site though.

You should have seen me heading to church one cold early morning with a weighted 88-key keyboard in a flight case sticking out the top of my open convertible. It didn't fit as well as I hoped.

17. Don't know if it's possible to leave your gear on-stage but a heavy scuffed-up old 2x15 should prove fairly theft-deterrent.

If it isn't felt possible to leave your gear on-stage, get one of the people who decide you can't leave it on-stage to put "their money where their mouth is" & help carry the cab back & forth. On the downstairs side of the cab. After 2 or 3 weeks of that, again inquire into leaving the cab on-stage.

Bring the head home & back.

18. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    I think I'm going to go with leaving the cab with a tough U-lock on it--locked to something in the room, or maybe locked to something bulky like an amp stand. That would probably do it.

This is the only place I play, so I want to enjoy the sounds I make and want to have a nice cab to accomplish that.

19. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    I'd recommend flight casing the whole thing, not on wheels.

The case adds weight, meaning it's less likely to be stolen easily. It also gives you the opportunity to padlock the hell out of it! The bigger and more awkward the flight case the better. You can then get a dolly (like a delivery guy) and pop that under it to move!