1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Light combo amp w/ power! (Im going to be homeless)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeffVanter, Mar 30, 2013.

1. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Sep 23, 2012
    I need a very light combo amp with plenty of power because I'm going to be homeless. Music is my way of life and I will be carrying around my bass and amp whenever I am not playing it for cash somewhere (even though enjoyment is first of course.) You can call me pathetic but if I had a choice, I'd be doing something else. I don't have a choice, so please do not think otherwise.

So does anyone know of any combo's that are maybe 2x10 ? I figure those would be easy to carry around. The deal is, bands still want me to play for them which is why I need the POWER. That's very important. I also need it to be light so I could carry is around with me all day.

Thank you all so much for any help :crying:

2. Seems like lots of threads on this subject lately, and several options on the market.

It looks like the Carvin MB line are the most compact and the lightest, by a small margin. I haven't noticed much about how loud they are, relative to the other options. TC Electronic, GK and Ibanez have loud, light options in the same price ballpark...$400ish range. You have some tone and feature decisions there.

If you step up the price a little, Markbass has some options around 35lbs.

Also, in a higher price range, you can do some loud and light things with a full range, powered monitor and an amp sim/DI setup.

3. Gallien Krueger makes some excellent, powerful light amps. I'm a big fan of my MB210; it gets really loud and I can lift it with one finger!

4. shock me

shock me

Feb 20, 2013
    Chicago
    GK mb115-II owner. Check out that line. Lightweight and sound very good!

5. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Sep 23, 2012
    The most I could spend on an amp would be about 400$ at the very most. I use a lot of reverb so a pedal will be needed so I'm expecting everything to be 550$ at the end of the line.

6. obimark

obimark Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2011
    What are you using a reverb pedal for? Just curious, never used one on a single gig myself ever, is it because you are playing outdoors??
    You should get creative and make a deal with these bands that you get to crash at a members house the night of the gig at least (or there practice space)

Not sure there are too many amps I'd want to schlep around all day that would gig loud enough to play with bands.

7. shock me

shock me

Feb 20, 2013
    Chicago
    I got mine for just under $400 out the door.

8. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Dude. Sorry for your hard times.

I'm a broken record about the GK MB210 but that's only because it meets so many needs. It is light and loud. I play with two but only because I can. One would be fine for what I do. I have the old style but the new ones look dope.

Not too spensive, either.

--Bomb :bassist:

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I've got a Carvin MB210 - it'll do the job but I wouldn't want to carry it more than a block or two.

OP, you don't say where you are located. There might be someone here willing to let go of a spare combo at a fair price. Cheaper than buying new, certainly.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    And make sure you get yourself a handcart. You'll be glad you did.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    +1
    As a happy owner of a GK MB210 over the last year I'd have to completely agree.
    Mines been very reliable, sounds great with plenty of bottom end and more than enough volume for medium sized gigs. Weighing in at a little over 30 pounds and capable of putting out over 500 watts (with an extension cab or almost 300 watts without one) at a price of around $550 new or $300 used is hard to beat. Also has an input jack for a CD player or drum machine if you find yourself in a situation without a full band.
    It's got a great one hand carry set up with the handle on top but if I were going to be hauling it from street corner to street corner or walking blocks with it I'd get a cheap folding two wheel dolly to make it even more travel friendly.
    For the ultimate "player on the go" set up consider picking up a Kala hollow body Ubass to play thru it. Those little dudes any weigh a couple of pounds and can easily fit anywhere plus they really belt out the lows.
    Here's a YouTube clip of the Kala that shows some of what it can do...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZwhRCOA_Yg
    It also does a great DB imitation as well...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5rTBOVUHQY
    And even bluegrass ...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PjpXrXFI8c
    Very versatile and lots of fun, great for a player on the run.

12. I use the Carvin MB15 with good results. Weighs about 32 lbs. The 210 model with same amp is about 36 lbs. Either is plenty loud. They have a 110 option that weighs 29 lbs also.

13. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I believe that this is the cart of choice for the discerning homeless guy:
    right_facing_shopping_cart.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Kinda mean, donchya think? :(

15. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    ^^^ THIS.

16. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Oh, and definitely agree with something from Carvin's micro line.

17. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Maybe a small practice amp you carry around. There is some amazing street talent and nobody ever judges the gear.

And a bigger amp for the band.
    And ask a band mate to store and haul a bigger amp to the gigs
    You can get plenty of good cheap rigs with power but they are not going to be portable. Portable costs more.

18. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Sep 23, 2012
    A special thanks to everyone. Literally nobody has been rude or judged me. I've seen those two pictures and chuckled a little bit and it made me smile so I appreciate it even if it was intended to be harsh. I don't mind having a very small amp, I just need something that isn't heavy to carry from street to street or block to block without having issues with my back. If I were to get a 4x10, would it be a problem to just carry that through the grocery shopping cart? It's rather hilarious but it actually may be an answer to my band problems. So far I've seen everything you guys have said and it means a lot. The GK looks rather expensive and I'm in a not so good area that has used bass amps. The carvin looks beautiful and cheap as I have been using carvin since literally day 1 for me. Thanks to those who shunned light on both amps! More input would be appreciated as it is comforting. Thanks all.

19. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    IT'S JOCULARITY........ lighten up man!

Jeff, no harm intended.
    One thing that you could do is to hook up with a drummer.
    That way his girlfriend can haul your gear around while she is hauling his.:D

(^another attempt at humor for all of you stick in the muds out there.)

20. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Honestly if I were you OP I'd take that $400 and buy an old van and a mattress to sleep in and live in. We all love music, but sleeping in the street just plain sucks.