Light Duty HVLP

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blipndub, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Doing some finishing just in my home shop and am frustrated with the rattle can lacquers.

Any recommendations on a low end but good quality sprayer?

It seems like for under $200 there must be something.

What about the Wagner Fine Spray - is that a real tool or a joke?

Many questions, sorry.

2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    From what I remember from the paint/body auto biz, you pretty much get what you pay for when it comes to spray guns. It is quite possible, however, to find high-quality spray gear used in pawn shops.
  3. You asked about HVLP. You can go two ways on that. Full turbine system or compressor filled gun. For that kind of money, and since I've already got a compressor, I would invest it in as good an HVLP gun as I could. $200 won't get you a top quality gun - those can run anywhere from $500 - $1500. But you can find several for that figure and under at places like Harbor Freight. You're right about the cost/quality ratio in the turbine systems. HF has one under $100 but it doesn't appear to be much more than a humidifier with a trigger :rolleyes: And good ones will give your wallet anemia.

Take a look at . They've got a lot of finishing equipment and some decent inexpensive gravity fed HVLP guns. Add a small compressor and tank (a must) and you'll be in business.

I'm not using HVLP right now - I use a pint capacity touch up gun as my main sprayer. It's actually perfect for doing bodies and necks because the small capacity still is more than enough to cover at least 2 coats yet not be wasteful in the mixing. It took me a little while to get used to this models particular quirks but once I figured out how to get it's best spray, I'm pretty confident now. Usually I blow between 15 and 20 lbs. of pressure when I spray 2 part acrylic polyurethanes and clear lacquers.
  4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I got out of the autobody repair biz about 14 years ago, right when that HVLP stuff started to appear. I messed with it a few times but not enough to get a handle on it. I was using one of those little touch up guns like Hambone uses but I recently pulled out my old Devilbiss. I hadn't messed with it since I quit painting way back when. It still has a lot of old paint all over gun and the outside of the cup. It works great for spraying the catalyzed lacquer I've been using. I thought I might have to get a rebuild kit for it but it works as good as the day I put it away. The gun is set up with a pressure pot needle and tip even though I use a cup with it. The pressure pot needle is a little smaller than a standard needle and actually restricts the flow a little bit more than a standard needle. We used this set up back in the day for spraying super high solids acrylic urethane. A regular gun would throw too much paint down and cause solvent popping (little bumps on the surface). I have no idea what a new one would cost these days, but I'm really pleased with the results I'm gettting. I just sprayed 5 bodies and two necks this evening. No runs or dry spray and no solvent popping.
  5. I picked up a used CH Powerpal tankless compressor at a pawn shop on my way home. I'm going to try it with a detail gun tomorrow and see if it has the huevos to do the job. I'm shooting like one body a week so it's not heavy duty. The hvlp stuff is so nice but out of my range i think.

thanks for the eastwood link, when i started all this i had no idea that car finishing and guitar finishes were so entwined, but i guess they always have been since the Dupont days.
  6. Blip, watch out spraying paint without a tank. What might happen is you'll get pulsing in your spray pattern that comes from the rapid cycling piston of the compressor. This comes about because the compressor is pushing air into the small hose and gun and not a tank for bleeding off the air. A tank acts like a cushion between the compressor and the gun to absorb the pulsations and not let them get to the hose and gun.
  7. Tdog

May 18, 2004
  8. You've obviously never purchased equipment through major industrial supply houses. A price from the internet means absolutely squat to them. I regularly see complete rebuild kits purchased by my company for simple HVLP DeVilbiss guns running over $250 - for a rebuild kit!.

Just showing the man one end of the full range of possibilities.
  9. My little foray into this world is showing me what a huge spectrum this is!

So I took back the used compressor and bought a new one at the autoparts store, it's got a three gallon tank and hopefully will power my pint Husky detail gun I got from Home Depot.

Will set up tonight and see what we get.

Now if i could only find a local source for nitro lacquer!!
  10. Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Sorry, but I have purchased my Sata and Binks HVLP guns at a major industial outlets. I'm looking at the moment at buying another Satajet RP digital II gun. Locally they are available for $599 and $525 at 2 different dealers. The list price IS $599......I am one to support local business, but buying off of the internet, in some cases with spray guns, can mean a difference of $200 for the same gun.....BTW maybe your company is overpaying...I AM my company and I need to watch my expendatures like a hawk. The SATAjet RP or HVLP is considered by many to be the finest clearcoat gun in the world(arguably so)....Please don't scare some folks away from buying a quality tool by quoting them these high prices. These guns are expensive, but affordable to the serious hobbyist. And if anyone on the TB board watches the Biker Build-Off show on Discovery, the Satajet RP is being used by most of the painters on these high end paint jobs.

Hardwood Studio
  11. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    I have two Campbell Hausfelds. One is a touch-up suction feed pint gun, with the trigger on top, and the other is an HVLP gravity feed 16oz or 20oz gun. I have used then with a 2gallon 1.5HP craftsman compressor. The guns themselves work fine with the small size compressor, because of the small area of musical instruments, the guns don't seem to give that good a finish tough, lots of work needed in the level/wet sanding phase...and for that reason I've stuck with oil type finishes.
  12. Could you explain what you mean by not a good finish? You said they worked fine but they don't? I've moving away from the reranch cans because of so much sanding due to bumpy application so Iwas hoping the spray system would give me a smoother application plus more consistent depth.
  13. Tdog

May 18, 2004
  14. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    I mean the guns work well with the size of compressor, ie - not draining it immediately, but I just haven't been able to get a real smooth finish like I could when I did furniture finishing at my old work. They give a real orange pealy finish, could also be my mix, maybe too thick, or my technique. I guess I was just too use to the European Kremlin with pressure feed setup and pneumatic lacquer pump and fancy stuff at my old job.

Also, make sure you use a water trap.
  15. I'm thinning about 40/60 thinner to lacquer, but i've not used this mix on the smaller unit so we'll see. I :( don't mind a very thin mix anyway. my goal is a very thin color coat that feels woody and wears easily.
  16. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I just pickedup a Walcom/Asturo ES/RV for about $60 on clearence here I don't have expirience with hvlp stuff, and havent had a chance to use it yet, but from what I read this seemed like a decent gun to play around with. Especially for the money.
  17. Thanks for the link. Man that Devilbliss stuff is nice!
  18. Thanks for the link. Man that Sata stuff is nice!