1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light(er)weight substitute for Mesa Diesel cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I really like Mesa's old Diesel cabs with the Electro Voice speakers. In my limited experience of playing bass cabinets (no stores here have nice bass gear) I haven't ever liked a cab more than a Mesa Diesel 115. Nothing else has had the cutting midrange and nice but non-harsh highs without being limited in the lows.

However, these Diesel cabs are way too heavy. They are in the 70-80 pound range, I believe, which may have been reasonable for one speaker when these came out (not sure when that was) but these days there have been great strides in the weight of cabs. I want something that sounds similar (doesn't have to be exactly the same) and weighs less. I probably won't be able to find this for as cheap as Diesels go for these days, but something mroe like 40 or 50 lbs, and ideally 4ohm, would be great.

Any ideas?

2. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    I'm going to bump this. Any suggestions?

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Any chance of just swapping out the speaker? I think Chef had good results in lightening his Diesel 1X15s, while still keeping some of their tonal character. I understand about the weight, but those Diesels just kill!

4. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    I don't know what speaker would sound like an EV. I have a Diesel 210 right now that has Celestions, and it's nothing like the one I used to have with the EV. It is a 210, and the old one was a 115, but the 115 with an EV was actually much punchier than the 210 with Celestions. I always thought the giant basket on the EVs had something to do with why they sound so good, but also why they weigh so much.

5. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I agree. I actually had the 2x15 Diesel (w/EVs) in college and it was frickin' awesome.

I also had one of the 2x10s and it didn't really sound that great. Then, I got wise and bought 2 Diesel 4x10s and they served me well for years. Very heavy though.

I know SWR may be unpopular in certain circles but I really like their Goliath cabs. I own a 4x10 and two 2x10s and they work great. Eden also makes killer cabs. The 2x10s are still heavy though -- maybe like 55 - 60 lbs?

The best smallish cab I've played through lately was the EA NL210. When I get some extra cash I'm going to buy one of the 4 Ohm 2x10s for my upright jazz rig and leave the SWRs for the rock & blues gigs. Good luck!

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm an old Diesel die-hard, yet I absolutely had to get a lighter rig. I haven't really cared much for Boogie's new cabs, until I bought their little Powerhouse 112s. They have a lot of that midrange grind that the old EVs had, but at 45 pounds each.

7. kawaib4

kawaib4

Mar 23, 2008
    philly
    Mr Johnson. I have played the Mesa 15's for years. I put JBL E140's in them for more definition. What type of music do you play? Old school rock? (Just guessing). I really have found that if you like the depth and roundness of a 15", then 10's just wont give that sound. I have an old EV 1-12 inch cab, the 'Theile' front ported design, loaded with a JBLE120 (what else?!). Its similar though not as deep. Have you tried the Bag end Cabs. They are a bit lighter. I have also hear that Aguillar makes a really nice 1-12. Unfortunately, they are really hard to find in a store to try. I'd say a 1-12 is the only way to go if you want the warm depth of a 1-15. They say the neowhaterver magnet speakers are lighter, but how much weight can you save in a 1-15 cab? 10lbs? Its a tough problem. For me, I'll just make my son carry them!.

8. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    I play experimental classical music, but I don't know how relevent that is since there's no real established "experimental classical" bass sound that everyone's familiar with. I'm still looking for the right cabs. Thanks for your thoughts.

9. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    you are talking to the right guy

i used a diesel 1-15/ev15b cab exclusively for many years. the Only cabinet i used. it was my amp tech's, on semi permanent loan. and it was hands down the greatest 1-15 i'd experienced, at that time. i said was. in my opinion the bag end s15l-d is better. 12pounds lighter at 62 pounds, for all intents the same dimensions(18 1/2x22x22). it's bag end's "in between size". very light for it's size and much more manageable because of the handle placement. i made an ampeg-style caster tray for it, shot it flat black, installed four guitel 4" blue rubber casters(rear swivels/front lockers) and i am good to go.

to me, at it's dimensions it is the best 1-15 cab in the world. there's bigger(carvin),there's smaller(bag end s15l). man it simply has it all. punch, super-solid low end reach, clarity, tactile feel, musicality, incredible build quality. think of it as the boogie diesel's more refined twin brother, if you will.

an outrageously great cabinet

10. +1

Dig through Chef's posts. He did do an Eminence Neo replacement, if I recall.

Mike

11. kawaib4

kawaib4

Mar 23, 2008
    philly
    Wow, that sounds cool. What is classical experimental? Is it written out. Figured Baroque bass ish? How many pieces? Like a string quartet or quintet? I am always interested in new and different music. When I was in college my buddy was a classical pianist and complser. We used to do improv on Bach style preludes ( I played the flute them). Really fun, but most was crappy! Every so often we'd hit a good passage, and it was a buzz.

12. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Listen to some stuff by Harry Partch and Arnold Schoenberg, then imagine it with a broken robot drummer playing along. It's kind of like that. :eyebrow: Hopefully I'll have a record out sometime in the next few months or years... :bawl: I'm lazy.