1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light for string set for lowest possible action on a Fender Am Std P Bass V? Re

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Da Funky Fish, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Hi, I recently got a Fender Am Std P Bass V. The luthier can only get my action so low, saying its due to the B string being a .135. The action though is not nearly as low as my Fender Am Std P Bass Deluxe 4 string and he did show me on the B string saddles, that they were maxed. Would I be in much better shape if I got a very light 5 string set or built my own set?

2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    A B-string needs some room to vibrate. A thinner string vibrates with more amplitude, as it's less tight. I don't think that's the way to go. :meh: First of all the bass should be set up with the standard amount of neck relief. From that point action and other settings can be optimized. I play a four string BEAD tuned bass which is set up pretty low, but I do have to be carefull not to smash the 0.130 B-string against the fretboard. I guess that's the compromise which you get for free with B-strings. :p