Light Gauge -- DR Sunbeams vs. Fodera Vic Woot Sig

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lokire, Jan 22, 2006.

1. I'm looking to maybe try a light gauge Nickel string set on my Ken Lawrence. I've heard all kinds of great things about DR Sunbeams, but what about the Fodera Victor Wooten sigs? Anyone have experiences with both? Which do you prefer and why?

2. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I haven't tried any Fodera strings yet, but the DRs are great. Definately low tension. Maybe too low for me. I'm going to try DR Lows next. I like the tone of DR's but can't stand the floppiness. I'm hoping the hexcore's will make a difference for me. Either way, you're looking at a nice hi-fi sound with good mids.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The Sunbeams are a bit more round than the Foderas; the Foderas seem to have a nicer bottom and more snap to my ears. Both had a nice sweet tone in the upper registers. Slightly different feel with the Foderas being a bit smoother, but not much. I A/Bed light-gauge Sunbeams and Fodera Nickel Diamonds (the Wooten sig. set is just particular gauges of the nickel-type Fodera Diamond strings) on my fretless when I first got it. I prefered the Foderas, but both are great brands.
  4. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I like the Foderas better too. And the Wooten gauges/tensions feel a lot more balanced from string to string.