Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light gauge for 6-String Extra long scale (36")

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The Reff, Jul 14, 2004.

1. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I'm looking for a set of strings that goes (roughly) 025-035-055-075-095-115 and they also have to fit extra long scale (36").

I would prefer taper wounds but other suggestions are welcome as well

Hope you guys can help me :p

2. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Ken Smith has a set that goes something like this: 030-040-060-080-100-120... I think it's the closest you'll get without building from scratch yourself. I personally would buy an extra light set for 4 strings and add the c and B as single strings. Most retailer on the web have a wide choice of manufacturers in the single string.

take care
    PL

3. I don't know the exact sizes,
    but just cheap ol' Fender extra lights have served me well...they're cheap and have a nice bright tone, then have a nice Pbass tone as the deaden...just a thought...

4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I actually have found some 4 string sets that goes 035-095. But it seems hard to find a B-string under 120. and C-strings not much under 030 ( I would prefer 025 ). And last but not least it's hard to know if they fit a 36" scale bass.

Here's a new thought : Remove the B-string and replace it with a F-string on top ....

Any comments, good advices, etc.???

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    thomastik-infeld jazz rounds (nickel roundwounds w/round core) come in .029, .043, .051, .068, .089, .118...this is for a 34" scale, but i think you can get them to fit your bass...contact the dude (talkbass user name 'dude') or you could order them from the dudepit...another suggestion would be to go to juststrings.com and see what they have as far as single strings go...you could order a set of custom guages...

6. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    It’s even harder to find wound string that goes this high in a suitable gauge for what you have in mind... I play a 7 string and my ideal f string would be between .022 or .020. As for the B string, I wouldn't go below .120... but that's just me.

The Smith usually have 38 inch of winding, this should be enough for your bass. D'addario offers super long strings for the 36 inch basses. Fodera should be on your list as well. Check juststrings.com or bassguitarstrings.com, you should find what you're looking for.

take care
    PL

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ok, check this out...i just hooked you up...go: dean markley single strings

this is the single string guages available for dean markley SR2000's on juststrings.com which are taperwound stainless strings...you can get a .027 high C string and a .115 low B...you may have to specify that want a 36" scale as they have silked ends...

8. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I have searched and searched - and now I might have an answer - Elites nickel plated series. I found the gauges 025 to 115 so I hope they work for 36" scale.

Does anybody know these strings or tried them ??

And thanks for all the help so far......... :D