Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light Gauge Sadowsky Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DavePlaysBass, Dec 17, 2005.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Anyone give these a shot? I just ordered a nickel set for my RV5. I usually prefer 45-100-130 but decided to go with the 40-100-125 given all the raves on Sadowsky strings. I dug the SS Sadowskys that came on the bass but they were brighter than I liked and the tension was a little higher than I like (not enough practice time these days).

Anyone have good or bad experiences with the Sadowsky 125 B on a 34" scale?

Thanks,

Dave

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Since no one commented I assume there is not a whole lot of knowledge on these.

I just installed the Sadowsky nickels 40-100-125 on my RV5 and played a Christmas Eve service. The sound guy pretty much screwed the whole thing up but that's a different story. As for the strings, I like them. They have more mids than the Pro Steels I replaced. The strings are clear and articulate. Compared to the steels, the high end is much more reserved but bright. It's a clean bright rather than the almost distorted bright of steel. I cannot decide if I like the extra high end harmonics of steel. I wish I had an effect that allowed me to switch between nickel and steel sounds. Given the slightly higher tension of the Sadowskys, the 40 and 60 feel stiffer than other light strings but a little easier to navigate than the 45 and 65 I took off.

I spent a lot of time trying to intonate the B. I could not get it perfect. But is uable up to the 11th fret. I think the 125 may be a little clearer than the 130 I pulled off. With an average amount of neck relief and a high saddle, the 125 B is not overly floppy. Once again Sadowsky tension is higher than others I have tried so it feels like a cross between a typical 125 and a typical 130 (D'Addario rounds are my reference point).

The E and A were defined and punchy. I need to record some jam sessions and decide if I am getting the low end definition that I really dig from steel.

I still need to play them in a loud rock setting and see how they cut and how they last. I hope I do not lose too much brightness too quick.

Dave