1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

light gauge strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Slap Bass Ninja, Jan 21, 2003.

1. i can't friggin' believe it
    i bought my first set of light gauge strings today, because i was told a long time ago that heavier gauge strings slap better

and it's true, they do sound a lot better
    but **** tone for a second and let me tell you what i did

i came home a happy, well-sexed man tonight, and i did some humble maintenance on my Essex 4-string, put on my 40-100's and proceeded to adjust myself to them

then i played a rock song (Liquido's "Play Some Rock") and as usual i slapped it around like a ****head, but unlike my normal conversions of rock basslines to slappitry, this was incredible:
    i was syncopating like a mofo, dead notes everywhere, and i found that with lighter strings i was able to achieve 32nd notes

32nd notes! slapping! slapping 32ndths! i can't even fingerpick 32nds, what the **** is up with that!? okay so it wasn't flat out 32nds (not all the time anyway), but the speed with which i was rocking was incredible.

i was using my whole arm, my thumb and my wrist in a combination to achieve this, going totally chaotic - and i want to know if it was this technique or the strings which made my precious precious 32nds enter my playing

- sometimes you just have to go nuts on bass to let yourself grow, so let it all out every now and then

2. Hey Ninja,

I think i just had the opposite experience.
    I've been playing on my "old" bass with thin strings,
    and today I bought a new Soundgear 3005 with Elixirs. But I really have to get used to the thick strings. I had .35 - .90 before, the soundgear has .45 - .95 and I'm not sure I like 'em. Perhaps I just need to get used to it. I also like to slap and i find it much easier with my old strings but I don't find any similar experiences in this forum, but I'm glad its not just me........

3. Wow...On my 4, I prefer Fodera 45-110's, and Fodera 110's are as tense as a 115 of anyone else.

I also like a 45-130 set of Slowwounds or Foderas on a 5.

Evidently taste for strings isn't all the same....:D

More power to you guys....Keep kickin' gluteus maximus!!!!! :D :D

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I used to use heavy gauge strings, I think 105, 85, 65, 45 (or something around there)

Recently, I switched to a light set, 95-75-55-40, and I like it a lot. I like the snap and the sound they have. The GHS Bass Boomers, which I use exclusively, come a a few different gauges, and I like the lights.

5. It is a struggle for me to deal with even a .100 E, nonetheless a .095. Of course, much of it is my fault, as I am not one of those bassists who will play with a light touch. I get too "into" the music and want to ATTACK. lol.

6. Sometimes I turn the tone knob down and play almost AT the bridge....LOL :D

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It took some getting used to, and a slight trussrod adjustment, but it wasn't too hard for me to adjust to them. They do feel different, but it isn't harder or easier for me, just different.

I can switch between the heavy gauge on my 5 string to the light gauge on my 4 with no problem. I guess I am the exception, not the rule.

8. Nick, I admire you, LOL.

I would consider buying a Geddy Lee Jazz, putting a J-Retro in it, and putting a set of .040-.100's.

Sounds neat.