light gauge strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Slap Bass Ninja, Jan 21, 2003.

1. i can't friggin' believe it
    i bought my first set of light gauge strings today, because i was told a long time ago that heavier gauge strings slap better

and it's true, they do sound a lot better
    but **** tone for a second and let me tell you what i did

i came home a happy, well-sexed man tonight, and i did some humble maintenance on my Essex 4-string, put on my 40-100's and proceeded to adjust myself to them

then i played a rock song (Liquido's "Play Some Rock") and as usual i slapped it around like a ****head, but unlike my normal conversions of rock basslines to slappitry, this was incredible:
    i was syncopating like a mofo, dead notes everywhere, and i found that with lighter strings i was able to achieve 32nd notes

32nd notes! slapping! slapping 32ndths! i can't even fingerpick 32nds, what the **** is up with that!? okay so it wasn't flat out 32nds (not all the time anyway), but the speed with which i was rocking was incredible.

i was using my whole arm, my thumb and my wrist in a combination to achieve this, going totally chaotic - and i want to know if it was this technique or the strings which made my precious precious 32nds enter my playing

- sometimes you just have to go nuts on bass to let yourself grow, so let it all out every now and then
  2. Hey Ninja,

I think i just had the opposite experience.
    I've been playing on my "old" bass with thin strings,
    and today I bought a new Soundgear 3005 with Elixirs. But I really have to get used to the thick strings. I had .35 - .90 before, the soundgear has .45 - .95 and I'm not sure I like 'em. Perhaps I just need to get used to it. I also like to slap and i find it much easier with my old strings but I don't find any similar experiences in this forum, but I'm glad its not just me........
  3. Wow...On my 4, I prefer Fodera 45-110's, and Fodera 110's are as tense as a 115 of anyone else.

I also like a 45-130 set of Slowwounds or Foderas on a 5.

Evidently taste for strings isn't all the same....:D

More power to you guys....Keep kickin' gluteus maximus!!!!! :D :D
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I used to use heavy gauge strings, I think 105, 85, 65, 45 (or something around there)

Recently, I switched to a light set, 95-75-55-40, and I like it a lot. I like the snap and the sound they have. The GHS Bass boomers, which I use exclusively, come a a few different gauges, and I like the lights.
  5. It is a struggle for me to deal with even a .100 E, nonetheless a .095. Of course, much of it is my fault, as I am not one of those bassists who will play with a light touch. I get too "into" the music and want to ATTACK. lol.
  6. Sometimes I turn the tone knob down and play almost AT the bridge....LOL :D
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It took some getting used to, and a slight trussrod adjustment, but it wasn't too hard for me to adjust to them. They do feel different, but it isn't harder or easier for me, just different.

I can switch between the heavy gauge on my 5 string to the light gauge on my 4 with no problem. I guess I am the exception, not the rule.
  8. Nick, I admire you, LOL.

I would consider buying a Geddy Lee Jazz, putting a J-Retro in it, and putting a set of .040-.100's.

Sounds neat.