Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light-Gauge Tapewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hollow Man, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm looking for some tapewound strings to put on a Cort ABG that I just purchased. I've never used tapewounds before, so I'm not sure which manufacturers make them, or if any particular brand is better than another. I have had trouble finding lighter-gauge strings, which is what I want (something on the order of .45 - .95 or lighter). Anyone know of any good, small tapewounds?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I belive that most people buy tapewounds to get a good thumping DB type sound. For that you need thicker strings.

3. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Have a look at juststrings.com. Even if you don't purchase, you can check out the various brands. I've never seen a tapewound set that was .045 on the 1st string. They're mostly .050 or .065. I recently tried a set of the GHS tapewounds and didn't like them that much. They were still too bright for me (since they're basically roundwounds inside the nylon) so I installed a set of Rotosound flatwounds and they seemed to give me a nice thump.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use Labella tapwounds on my G&L-- in fact I had them on all three of my basses. THey are kind of heavy-- .050 G and a .115 E. They still have some zing when compared to say Fender flats. I get them from Carvin for about $20.