1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Light-Gauge Tapewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hollow Man, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm looking for some tapewound strings to put on a Cort ABG that I just purchased. I've never used tapewounds before, so I'm not sure which manufacturers make them, or if any particular brand is better than another. I have had trouble finding lighter-gauge strings, which is what I want (something on the order of .45 - .95 or lighter). Anyone know of any good, small tapewounds?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I belive that most people buy tapewounds to get a good thumping DB type sound. For that you need thicker strings.

3. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Have a look at juststrings.com. Even if you don't purchase, you can check out the various brands. I've never seen a tapewound set that was .045 on the 1st string. They're mostly .050 or .065. I recently tried a set of the GHS tapewounds and didn't like them that much. They were still too bright for me (since they're basically roundwounds inside the nylon) so I installed a set of Rotosound flatwounds and they seemed to give me a nice thump.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use LaBella tapwounds on my G&L-- in fact I had them on all three of my basses. THey are kind of heavy-- .050 G and a .115 E. They still have some zing when compared to say Fender flats. I get them from Carvin for about $20.