1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Light-Gauge Upright Strings - what's the cheapest place to get them at.

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jamiefoxer, Apr 21, 2009.

1. jamiefoxer

jamiefoxer

Dec 2, 2005
    Just a quick question. Absolute, fire-sale prices for light-gauge upright strings, to be used on a Palatino VE500 and mostly for salsa, Latin-American folk styles, and some jazz. I'm talking about something along the lines of Webstrings.com for electric basses.

Any thoughts...I'm a poor electric bass player who doesn't use his Palatino enough to justify $100.00 on strings, but uses it enough that he needs to have his Palatino ready for work. Currently, they have Daddario Hybrid Mediums on them and they're SO damned stiff to play.

2. The strings you already have are good.
    You may only need a good setup on your instrument.
    Second, if you are new to upright, you may want to practice and get used to the new way of playing.
    A teacher may also be a good idea, to make you start the right way.

If you absolutely want new strings, I suggest you watch the Classifieds here.
    You may be able to find lots of strings at great prices.

Nice day, and good luck,
    François

3. Good advice from Francois.

I currently play Helicore Orchestral mediums on my Ergo, and my teacher has commented that he finds them quite light to play. So rather than buying new strings, maybe try a set-up and some lessons?