Light gauge with the lowest tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by berklee46, Dec 9, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I just got my first 35" scale bass and I'm finding that the strings that I've been using on my 34" basses are obviously tighter on the new bass, even with the action down really low.

I currently use Status Graphite Hotwires (Round-core Roundwounds .35 .55 .75 .95 .120) and they work wonderfully on my 34" basses. The action is super low, and the strings are "loose" enough to play very comfortably.

(I've heard great things about the TI's, but I can't seem to find the really light gauges. The website only seems to list .47-.119)

I'm wondering what you've found to some good light gauge strings with low tension that I can try on the new 35". The looser the better! :)

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm going to throw yet another plug for the Zon Ultrasonics Lights which are the lowest tension strings that I have played, even compared to the TI Jazz Rounds! They have a more aggressive sound as well which I like. They also really last a long time. Way longer than the TI's. TI's are great strings too though. They have a really nice, light, balanced feel to them. What the hell, give both of them a try. That's what I did.
  3. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000

I checked the Zon site and they have a gauge close to what I'm looking for(.038 / .050 / .074 / .095 / .125) so they are definitely on the list of things to try out.

Heck, I just placed my order now to try a set!