Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LIGHT head to pair with an SWR 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dharma, Mar 7, 2006.

1. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Just bought an SWR 15T (8 ohm, 200 watts), and am running it as an extension for a combo, but am looking to dump the combo angle altogether and put a head with the 15.

Any suggestions?

Anybody run Eden or Epifani through SWR cabs? Looking for some impressions.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I went through the same progression with a DIY 15 that I built as an extension for my combo. Then I got a GK Backline 600 head that I am extremely happy with. It is rated at 180 W into 8 Ohms, which would be a good match to the SWR cab.

3. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.

Any other takers?

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Note that my review includes the settings for "flat" response if you want to audition the Backline 600 head that way.

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    A great head for that cabinet is a GK. I sold the same cabinet a long time ago, but recently found my old cab, so I bought it again on the cheap. I pair it with my GK400RB-III, and it sounds wonderful. The GK gives the cab some grind, but with a nice, big bottom.

6. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    And we know that is an endearing quality in an amp.

This is the first praise I've actually heard/seen for GK head + SWR cab.

My initial impression of GK is that it's a little ... what's the word ... thin and fragile sounding.

I would assume you guys don't believe as such.

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The 15 rectifies this a bit. When people talk about SWR cabs, they're usually talking about the Goliath 10s. The WM series is a little darker anyway, and the 15 just adds to that. I usually cut just a little bit of highs on the GK. It sounds great.

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Sounds awesome, especially considering GK's low used prices.