1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light/Laser/NightSight for Glock

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by spencer, Sep 7, 2008.

1. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Since my other thread was deleted and I was informed it was because it got out of hand...

Anyways I would still like input on accessories..
    And a few more tidbits..

All Im really wondering is should I get a Light/Laser/or NightSights for the glock..

First I would only attach the light when its not in a holster and is on the side of the bed, this way I don't need a flashlight which gives me only one hand to hold the gun with,

I think a laser would be pointless if you have nightsights.. However Im not sure how a target will appear with a light on it, will this light allow you to see the iron sights? Will this light allow you to even see the night sights?

Also I would want a light that is easy to switch on and off from the gun drawn both hands on gun position..

2. Streamlight has the TLR1, which is a great light. It's very bright, which helps you identify a target AND so bright that if you put it in a person's eyes, they can't see you.

As for lasers.....meh. I'm not a fan of guide spring lasers and a lot of the flashlight/laser combos have the laser fairly far below the barrel, which makes your accuracy change when you increase or decrease the distance between you and the target.

3. Lasers have their place. They are great for target aquisition when you cannot aim using the sights. For home defense in low light conditions they work great. I prefer to have a light thats' NOT mounted to the gun. I like to be able to aim the light where I might not want to aim the gun and vice versa :)

4. I dunno, I like to keep my hands in the normal positions, which is why I prefer the weapon mounted light. I look where I'm pointing the gun and light. If I look to the left and the target is on my right.....doesn't help my odds any.

Quite often, if you can't use on standard shooting form and must use a laser sight, accuracy won't be that great because it's hard to shoot consistently when not using normal shooting form, which is why we use good form in the first place.

IMHO, the only reason I'd get a laser sight is to put it somewhere visible to say, "hey, think about it," but I'd rather shine an extremely bright light in their eyes and blind 'em.

5. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    Scotch tape works!

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Tritium sights

7. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Yea, I figured the laser was overkill...

I don't like them too much anyways..

So now its

Flashlight mounted with night sights
    Or
    Flashlight mounted with iron sights..

8. The only place I would need a light or night sites or lazer would be at home. I would prefer to have none of them on my home protection gun. My fastest and most accuate shooting at close range is done by point shooting over the BARE slide on my Steyr. Lining up sites, especially in low light takes too long and in a panic probably aint gonna happen anyway. I can very quickly middle the human sillouette targets out to 20 yards, that's all I need. And, I can do it with my gun hand resting on my flashlight hand.

9. Night sights should be all that you need. Flashlights can be cumbersome especially if your using a holster. I agree with FL Knifemaker, just have a flashlight handy next to your bed or wherever you need it.

10. BTW, a laser sight might work well for trolls on TB...

11. A shovel, some lye and a rope works better :rolleyes:

12. Yep

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Jeff Cooper is turning in his grave :smug:

14. That's OK. I go with what works best for me. I also grip my gun Don Johnson style with my left finger on the front of the trigger guard. Old school Miami Vice style :D

15. Yes, under bridges is perfect lighting for a laser :D

16. Many companies sell holsters set up for popular pistols and a tac light.

17. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I use laser sights for training at the range sometimes. It helps with my trigger control if I haven't shot in a while so they have their place.

For personal protection, a small, bright flashlight held with your weak hand crossed under your strong hand is a good option. Your wrist acts as a swivel to aim the light wherever you need while still maintaining a strong grip of your weapon. In addition to that, you weak hand acts as a support for your strong hand. This is called the Harries technique and there are several others such as the Ayoob, Neck-index and others.

18. +1 Yup, yes, ahhuh!!

19. Not to start a large debate with you guys, but I don't know if I'd necessarily recommend that type of pistol form, especially to someone new to shooting. I practice most scenarios, although since I already have a tac light, I don't really practice that one a whole lot. I can't remember the name of the technique, maybe Harris, Weaver, or something like that, but I've always grouped best using the traditional 2 handed technique.

If/when (pray for "if") the real deal comes along, ya shake. I've had two instances where I've been locked n' loaded in the house this year. One was my gf falling down the stairs, which sounded like someone busted in the back door. Another was when my security system hit the BIG alarm, which was due to the phone company resetting everything....at 4am....thanks.

Regardless, it was hard enough to hold steady with 2 hands....and target identification is CRITICAL.

20. When I was doing a lot of shooting, I shot MANY stages in night and low light conditions. I tried all sorts of setups and techniques. I also took a lot of tactical shooting classes. Based on that, I know what works best and fastest for me. If I had to go through a stage with a gun mounted light, aiming over tritium sights, I would SUCK, big time!!