1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light, Medium or Heavy Swamp Ash?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Bassmore, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    Hi Again,

This may only be for ASAT's if at all. My dealer told me he "thought" that when one places an order for a G&L bass, that at the time of order along with listing your chosen options you can specify an approximate body weight (Light, Medium or Heavy) on the Premium Swamp Ash. Has anyone heard of this? :confused: He said that, if specified, they (G&L) would hand pick the body (block) wood and weigh it prior to starting the manufacturing so that if you wanted a bass at or around 7.5 to 8.5 lbs (lighter side) they can do that. :cool: :cool: :cool: I have not read that anywhere or heard about it so I was wondering if that in fact is possible. I personally am hoping to get an L2K from Fender Ave, :hyper: so any input from anyone regarding this would be great.

Thanks again,

Bassmore :bassist:

2. Easiest way to answer that is to email the nice folks at G&L directly, though this is the first time I've heard of such an option.

3. I wonder how many players would request "heavy" nowadays.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    raises hand

5. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    I prefer them to be a bit heavier myself. Around that 10lb range is good for me.

Heavy bass, big bottom :D

6. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I disagree. Having denser or heavier wood probably has some effect on the fundamental of an instrument but I think its marginal compared to the change the bass knob on your amp can make.

I will not consider an instrument over 10 lbs anymore. Your shoulder may not care now but it will eventually. I have never heard that G&L provides that option. I would think if so then it would be on their site. Maybe? :D

7. If weight/wood choice really is an option, I wish I would have known that before I just ordered my L2000. I would have ordered "extra light" or "even a mouse's shoulders would be happy".
    B

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have heard that for a fee (upcharge) they will hand select the body wood for you. But I've also heard that this really means that when the guy goes to the pile of bodies that instead of picking up the top one, he'll pick up the top one and the next one and then do the scientific weighing b/w the two (one in each hand method) and pick the lighter of the two. :meh:

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    warmoth charges a $50 upfee for "lighter"
    and another $50 for "figured ash"

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Maybe it was Warmoth that I heard did that and not G&L. I don't know, I'm so confused. :D

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I did not at all mean to imply that G&L doesnt; I don't know 'bout that.

12. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    So here we are in 2008 and a scientist can Q-tip swab your cheek, and compare the DNA to the evidence at a crime scene, i.e. discarded cig butt, or more intimate excretions left at the scene and say with certainty that you were there. We speculators continue to opine as to the sonic properties of a given piece of wood. I own 2 L-2000's that are both ash but weigh 2 or more pounds different.I don't hear a marked difference? You would think someone in their spare time would do some lab work to try to quantify these till now subjective properties. Or has this work already been done?
    My favorite bass has a light body which I think is alder, and a maple neck,and tone and sustain forever. The electronics are the key in my unprofessional opinion.Enlighten me please.:bag:

13. If someone were to do an experiment they'd have to control a lot of factors: amp and settings, bass, cable, make sure exactly the same thing is played, strings, etc. There's so many factors that come into play that it's not even funny. I think the main question isn't if it sounds different. It's "Does it sound crappy or good?" If it's the latter then there's nothing to worry about.

I agree that the electronics are the key ingredient, but I am also not as attuned to tone subtleties as a lot of people on talkbass. For me, I just go with what sounds good. :atoz:

14. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    +1
    Larry

15. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    This is absolutely not true. When I order from G&L I can make a request for a body to be light or whatever but that is not a guarantee, it just means that they will try to pick out a lightweight piece. THe weight of the wood is not an option they offer.

16. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    When I ordered my ASAT from the factory in '03, the dealer made a conference call to Fender Ave. and we spoke about the neck radius and other options- Nice touch I thought.

Interestingly, when the bass arrived about 3 months later, the Factory sheet read "Light Swamp Ash".

Nothing I had requested, but it seems that it WAS listed as being a variant of sorts, that's the way I interpreted it at least.

I'll bet that when ordering, you could well talk about body wood selection with the Factory if you discuss this with the dealer.

At any rate, my Blonde ASAT is one of the biggest values ever. Quality build that easily could have cost 2X what it did.

Awesome ordering a bass for YOU from Fender Ave!:cool: