Light on compression pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tommy TGrip, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Tommy TGrip

Tommy TGrip

Feb 14, 2022
    Australia
    I have the Diamond bass comp - the 18v one. I'm trying to work out how to set it for a Fender P with flats (50 - 105). I agree with what others have said about the quality of the pedal to shape a great tone but I also want to use the comp effect. To what extent should I use the light as a guide. E.g. if it never lights up orange, does it mean no comp is being applied at all? Should i set the comp level to the point at which it lights orange or red when I really dig in, and then work back (or forwards) from there? Cheers

2. J Posega

J Posega Cat Dad and Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The easiest way to dial it in would be to set it to it's extreme and work backwards IMO. So, set it so that it lights up red constantly and slowly dial it back. This way, you get to hear the most extreme sounds from the pedal and then settle into the tone you really want.

I don't have, nor have I played, this particular pedal, but that's how I like to approach subtle sounds--go way beyond subtle to get a feel for how far the pedal can go, then slowly dial it back.

Tommy TGrip likes this.
  3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. My suggestion:

Start by not noticing the light at all. Listen exclusively; do not look.

Next, when you think you have a good sense of how the settings affect your playing inputs, do notice the light. See if you can reliably correlate its behavior with your original impressions gained by listening alone.

If you can, great. But if not, no loss since you already have your impressions from listening.

Indeed either way you will be able to (or actually required to) rely on your listening as your guide.

Tommy TGrip likes this.