1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light replacement tuners for P-Bass ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mandrlane, Jul 30, 2007.

1. mandrlane

mandrlane

Dec 22, 2006
    I have an old bass I am restoring... pretty cool actually... a solid ash body I made with an 82(I believe) precision special neck, badass II bridege, demarzio pups... you get the picture.

The issue is neck dive... the original tuners are heavy as crap! I used to compensate for this by moving the strap button a lot higher... but as I'm restoring the bass now I would rather get lighter tuners...

any suggestion for light weight tuners to replace the old heavy ones... the catch is I would prefer the same size in back so all the mounting screws line up

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    There are no "full-size" light tuners. You could switch to regular Hipshot replacements, but you will only save a few ounces.

I just installed "Ultralite" Hipshot tuners in my '82 Jazz, and man, what a difference. I saved more than 1/2 pound in weight. The bass was not neck heavy to begin, but it feels even better now.

The only downside is that you are left with the existing holes, but it is a small price to pay for comfort.

3. mandrlane

mandrlane

Dec 22, 2006
    I was kinda thinking that may be the case... but your right its a small price to pay... especialy in my case where there is significant neck dive.

funny thing is I never though the tuners were that heavy... but when I took them off... I was shocked at how heavy they are.

4. Take the tuners completely off the neck as a test. You will probably still have neck dive. Doing this will save you a lot of time/expense for light weight tuners that won't make a difference.

5. mandrlane

mandrlane

Dec 22, 2006
    Thats a good idea... Right now the bass is off getting a new clearcoat... But I have to say, I didn't think the tuners could weigh that much, but I took them off and the neck went from feeling like 35 pounds to being light as a feather... almost all the weight in the neck was the tuners.

Guess I'll find out... I'll put the neck on without tuners when I get the body back... before I spend the money on new ones.

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Fender keys weight 4.5 ounces; Ultralites weight 2 ounces. That means you will save 10 ounces by switching, which a bit more than 1/2 pound. Pretty significant difference.

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    these look like exactly what you need. Not my auction.

Ebay

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Those Fender lite keys are nice. However, you will need to drill two small index holes, about 1/8" deep into the back of the headstock per key.

9. mandrlane

mandrlane

Dec 22, 2006
    Those do look nice... Unfortunately, I need them in gold. But thanks for the link. I don't mind adding the holes needed. The ones I have now are the old school ones... huge with four screws holding them on in the back... So I assume no matter what I'll be doing some modifications

10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I did this years ago and it worked very well. Wish I'd done a nicer job but I was in a rush to get it done for a gig and I never bothered to go back and fix it up like I intended. If I had it to do over I'd plug the holes and put on Hipshot Ultralights instead of the short stem Sperzels (the only lightweight option at that time though) as the Hipshots I think will fit without shaving the headstock like I did. On the other hand maybe shaving it took off weight I'd otherwise have noticed????
    preheadstock-1.