1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light Rigs Versus Regular Rigs !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jimmy Aloha, Feb 25, 2008.

1. I was wondering the sound qualitys of these new light weight amps and cabs (epiphani,bergandino,Euphonic )versus the typical bass heads and cabs (Ampeg ,Swr ,)Any Opinons?

2. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    They sound different but it's on a case-by-case basis. Neither is 'better' than the other, they just sound different simply because of tube vs. solid state, speaker sizes, ect.

Size isn't a viable distinction between amps and cabs. It's the sound that matters.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I just bought a MB R500 and an Epifani 212UL S2 to replace my rack case (SWR Power 750 and various preamps) and 2 Ag GS112s. Went from 140 lbs. in three pieces to 70 lbs. in two pieces. I'm getting better tone out the deal, too.

I'll go out on a limb and say that just about any tone you want is available in lightweight gear. Be hard to completely replicate the SVT/fridge packge though.

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Yeah, in my humble opinion, difference between say neo and ceramic magnets in speakers make little to no difference. It's the speaker size, box size, box construction that results in different sounding cabs.

r379 brings up a good point. Everything except an SVT/fridge combo can be replicated with lighter gear. Lighter does not necessarily mean smaller in size, however. For instance the Markbass Little Mark 2 is very light AND small. But their classic line of cabs are quite light for the size. Amps can be both light and small in size. Speakers however is all about physics.

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Most of the ultralight speakers tonal differences are in the upper mids. The low end of things, i hear that some cabinets have more or less, but really its nothing the bass knob can't change. The upper mid detail is much higher in a UL cab verses a ceramic cab. The weight is usually the biggest difference though.

Just like anything though, Head A might sound good through X cab but not Y cab. However these are subjective observations from tone "snobs" ;) that your ears might not find bad at all.

AS always, let your ears be the judge.