Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

light, rock bass.. what should i get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Hey, i am looking for a new bass.. i need something LIGHT!! something i can move around throw around and do what i please on stage, cause i go crazy, and it needs to be light. My other bass has put a hurtin' on my back, so I am looking for a new one. I play screamo, hardcore, rock, metal stuff on the lines of that. I need something that isnt to punchy, so probably not active, but active might work. I am using a OLP bass (i have more expensive basses, but i LOVE the sound of this one, but like i said, TOO HEAVY, and its not even that heavy, but for how much i move, it is)
    I want something that has a dark sound, with a little bit of punch, and can cut through. Anyone have any ideas?
    THANK YOU!!!
    does anyone know if a grabber bass is light? i like those.

2. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I play the same kind of music. We play alot of old school HC (agnostic front, sick of it all, bad brains ect...) and new school(sinai beach, darkest hour ect.) I have played alot of basses and the best for going nuts onstage is the Cort Curbow. It is very light, made from luthite (never hurt it at all) and is very deep for heavy breakdowns. I have a 5 string red for sale, with custom hardcase($350). I am keeping my cort fretless 4 as I can get it to sound close to an upright. I am having a BC Rich custom made for me, otherwise the Cort would stay. Even if you don't buy mine, look into it. Youll love em'. Later Joe

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    If you want light.. I know someone is going to hit me for this.. but the Ibanez EDA series is light. I know everyone seems to hate them, but I love the feel of 'em. They aren't wood... they are lucite. But it's sound might be what you're looking for. It has a magnetic pickup and a piezo.

SO give it a try if you want.

Or if you want to stick with wood, you could look into a dinky P body by warmoth...

4. Spector(spectre?)

good light basses.

5. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    buy a jazz bass... to me that's a light bass

6. Reverend Rumblefish. 'Nuff said.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yamaha. Godin. The Yamaha RBX series would probably fit your bill, expecially in looks.

8. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    ive always considered P's to be very lightweight

9. most any bass made with Swamp ash. Bolt on Carvin. Washburn's version of the Music Man. Essex.

10. Stingray or Sterling,, maybe a stingray 5

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 'Fish is one of the lightest. The MTD Kingston is pretty light, too.

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Check out Ashbory or Nomad. You can throw them around your body pretty easily and you'll look cool doing it too.

13. Thanks.. I do like those basses.. but i kinda dont like the shape of the body. you know of Sinai beach!? that is crazy.. i didnt know many people knew who they were, they came to my city (evansville) and the show was awesome! i didnt know they were that popular.. but yah. Do yo ulike symphony in peril too? If you haven't heard them, check them out. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! If you still have more just keep on sending them.

THANKS- zACH

14. I used to hate them until I played one. They are amazing.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Fender Precision Lyte.

16. Try going through warmoth, go into what used to be the custom shop. You can select your own body style and most importantly the weight of the body. Have them route it for whatever happens to be your favorite pickup combination and go from there. Swamp ash tends to be the lightest, with Alder next (although alder can get very heavy).

With warmoth you also have the option of gettin the body hollowed out, which reduces weight further.

Slap some ultra light tuners on it and you have a amazing playing and sounding bass of your choosing for under a 1000.

Thats what I'd do, but Im gassing for my second warmoth so take that as you want.

17. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i saw sinai beach at cornerstone. looking back , they were pretty awesome, i just wasnt feeling well, but i stayed for their show anyway. did you see the video that was on the news about bleeding through wrecking sinai's van? it was totally awesome. anyways, the cort curbow is a good one. i have a cort curbow 4 fretted with a hard case that needs a small repair on the neck, but id sell it to you for $150-200. or i could get the neck fixed and then id sell it to you for $200-250ish. its a pretty light bass. i really didnt like the shape of it at first either, it just kinda grew on me. some more light basses are the ibanez edb basses. they look pretty cool too. norma jeans old bassist (when they were lutikriss) had one of those and it sounded pretty good too. symphany in peril is a good band too. im really into the christian hardcore scene. my brother books a lot of shows and he has played with symphony in peril on multiple occasions. p basses seem to be what most hardcore bands use these days.

ibanez edb

news footage from the van crash is here. you definitely need to see it. http://helix.ksl.com/video/ksl/0/96/9672.ram

18. thats sweet.. yeah comeback kid is coming here in a few weeks, and we got as i lay dying, but all the local kids have to save up money and pay for as i lay dying.. like 400$ lol. Facedown records is a GOOD label. yeah whoever recommended the warmoth basses.. thank yoU!!!!! i love les paul basses.. and im going to try to get a les paul custom bass from there, thank you so much! which wood is the lightest? This is for the les paul style of body-

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/bassbodies.htm
    go to the les paul bass one, and tell me which one to get for the lightest, but also sturdy where it wont break. also, it says laminated.. does that mean painted? Where would i choose color

19. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    when you are in the bass body area of warmoth there should be a paint and finish link in the menu on the left of the page. oh, and a laminated top is when you have a flamed maple top or something exotic. for hardcore, you dont really want that, and it will just weigh you down more, the paint and finish is a whole nother option and a different price.

20. yeah, i found that, thanks. I know pretty much everything I want on it, but I have no idea how to do all the wiring, and all that custom stuff, and it has that area on the back, I have no idea to do it all.