Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light Slim-Necked Good Basses - Sterling or ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spaceman, Nov 20, 2004.

1. I've been playing a Yamaha RBX260 for about three years.
    I think it may be time to look for a new/better bass!
    I want something that has a narrow neck and is fairly light. Obviously I
    want something good quality, and I'm somewhat frugal (!). With these
    criteria, and based on what I read here, it seems I should be looking at a
    second-hand Ernie Ball Sterling. However, I wonder if I've developed
    "tunnel vision" too soon for a Sterling! Do folks here have any other
    suggestions for anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks!

2. I love my STERLING but if you want to try something different try the Fender Jazz Geddy Lee it is also very good... :bassist:

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    IF you can find a Peavey USA Millennium four string, I would recommend that you seriously take a look at it. The neck profile very similar to that of a Sterling or Jazz bass, and it's electronics are more versatile than either. It also has a graphite reinforced neck.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Theres no OR man, go with the Sterling, you wont regret it!

5. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Go with the Sterling, a great bass with excellent playability, a little bit different than a standard jazz bass. The neck is the same size as a standard thin jazz neck front to back, the difference is that the sterling neck is more narrow, pencil-like, not at the nut but further down the neck, and the neck sits deeper into the body, which makes it easier to reach for the low notes. Also the string spacing is much more narrow on the sterling than a Jazz, making it very fast.....I would recommend going for a pre-2000 model....I've owned three pre-2000 models and they have been superior in quality to newer ones....If you really like that low end rumble the Sterling will probably not suit you, it is very strong in the mids and can cut through any mix...but enough bottom to most people....definetely a great bass! :bassist:

6. AMEN!!! MY BROTHER!!!
    :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

7. Thanks for all the comments.
    I guess I'll go ahead with my initial plan and check out the Sterling, but
    also compare the Geddy Lee and Peavey USA Millennium if I can find
    ones locally. (The Geddy Lee is lower cost than the Sterling at least!)

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    your down to a personal thing. Out of the 3, which i have played all three id say sterling, then geddy, then peavey. Ive never been perticularly impressed with any peavey stuff, including their cirrus line, which most people love. Your just gonna need to get in there and try them all out. IMHO a sterling is the best hands down but also the most expensive. I really really dig the geddy too though so check all of them out. I think itd help to know what kind of music you play and what kind of amp your playing through too.

9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Sterlings are great for a skinny neck but they aren't that light in weight. I find EBs to be a bit to heavy for the most part. I think a Yamaha BB404, used Modulus, Fender jazz deluxe, or a used Zon Sonus would do the trick.

I really liked my old sterling, but there were certain things I didn't like about it. I like thicker necks for one, second I like light basses, and third I didn't find the single pickup to be near as versitile as two pickups.

10. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I agree with Sethlow3 that some Sterlings, especially new models are not that light weight, but all my pre-2000 have been really light....between 8-8,5lbs......but as all the other posts says, go try em out!

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm posting again to say that you should really check out a Peavey USA Millennium four if you can. There are some cheap ones on Ebay, but I wouldn't blame you if you preferred checking one out before buying. As a person who has owned more basses than I care to admit over thirty years, I can say that the build quality on my Peavey is equal to that of a good G&L or Music Man. If you go USA Millennium, get one with a Hiipshot d-tuner. The Millennium has 35" scale, so it can be detuned while still maintaining a fairly taut string tension. Ihave owned several five and six string basses, so I can take a wide neck, the neck on my Peavey seems alsmot like a toy, but it is satiny smooth and super fast. It also can get close to Music Man in terms of tone, especially for slapping. It can also get a very Jaco type of sound close to the bridge. That said, I may get of my Millennium four - to get a USA Millennium five!

12. Ultimate goal is to play pretentious complex art rock (King Crimson!).
    Currently play mainly classic rock/pop at the weekend and classical (Bach, Bartok, etc.) with my teacher.

I use a GK400RB with an Avatar B210, or just a small keyboard combo amp if I don't need much volume.

I have fairly small hands and am a bit of a wimp which is why I believe I'd like a narrow neck and something not too heavy!

13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i mean i hate to say it but i dont know that a sterling would be the best choice for you. Trust me normally id suggest a musicman to almost anyone. You may look for sumthing a little cleaner for that type of music. Like maybe a geddy with a j retro and some barts or something. A 4 string probably isnt gonna get you there either. I know theres gonna be people going, "what are you talking about" but thats just my opinion. I think stingrays and sterlings have a great in your face sound but if your gonna be playing classical you almost need like a piezo sound. If you can find a sterling with piezo go for that maybe?

14. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I have both a Geddy Lee and a Sterling fretless. Both are fantastic instruments. The Sterling has much more low end. The Lee is a smoother, jazz bass sound. The overall playability is easier with the Geddy Lee, in my opinion. The necks are very similiar, but the Geddy is faster.

The Geddy Lee is heavier than the Sterling. In fact, it is heavier than my USA Precision. I have a ruptured disk in my neck, and it a real bugger to play standing up with the Geddy Lee. Pain within minutes!

The pickups are better on the Sterling. The Geddy's are slightly low-output; my only real complaint about the bass.

If I were to choose to keep only one of these, I'd keep the Sterling.

You can't really go wrong with any of the 3 basses you mention. All are great guitars.