Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light strings on a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ransomm, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002
    How well will light gauge strings work on a 5 string bass? I have an Ibanez 5 string with a 34" scale. I have seen sets that go fron .040 to .120 and .040 to .115. Your thoughts? How well will the B string play?

thanks,

Ransomm

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are different things that can influence string tension, such as neck rigidity and string core to wrap ratio, but generally speaking, a lighter B string will be floppier than a heavier one.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by JAUQO III-X
    I've come to learn that light gauge strings work best for me on my 4 strings I use .087 .067 .047 .027 G-E. my six string set I add a .022 for my C,and a .100 for my B.on my 8 string I add a .017,and a .015 for my high F,and high Bb,on my Sub-Contra bass I use .194 .165 .115, .o98 standard E-low C#
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and by light B isn't floppy at all.

4. Everything's a trade-off. All other things being equal (as if they ever are!), a heavier B string will feel tigher than a lighter one, but a lighter one may sound clearer and less muddy than a heavy one. A .115" B will certainly feel looser than a .135" B.

Whether it feels too loose will depend on your bass an your playing technique. I haven't heard Jauqo's playing, but I'd guess that with a fairly light, controlled touch, a very light B would work fine. If you're more heavy-handed, or have a bass that's prone to having floppy B's anyway, you might find a thicker string suits you better. I tend to find .125" about right myself, but the rest of my strings are usually .045-.105 these days. It would certainly be worth trying a set with a .115 or .120 B, especially if you like the top strings to be lighter as well.

Mike

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I totally agree with you Mike.

6. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002
    Now, an additional question thrown into the mix... If I am wanting a set going from.040 to .120, which brands of strings work well in light gauge? I have a 5 string Ibanez (34" scale).

thanks,

Ransomm

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The best thing you can do is just put a light set on your bass and take it from there.

8. I use Sadowsky light gauge on my Vintage 5 (40-120). I love 'em. The "B" string is very articulate without being thuddy. I love the feel of those strings.

Jeff

9. I use DR high beams 040 - 120 on my Mike Lull modern 5v (with onboard Sadowsky preamp) and I must say it ROCKS (thanks to the Sadowsky pre of course) The 120 B sounds very tight and especially very punchy! Much better than a 125 or 130 B which give me an unusable amount of lows.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm currently using Powerbass strings on my Curbow Int'l Petite 5. The low B is a .119, and it is not floppy at all. Also, my touch is anything but light. I have always preached that a more rigid neck is more important than either string gauge, or scale length. And, you simply don't get any more rigid than a rockwood neck with graphite stiffening bars and two truss rods.

The only real way to tell how the strings will play on your bass is to put them on your bass, unfortunately.

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have super light strings
    the b string is .110!!!!
    beat that.
    i had them on my 4 string spector. and when i detuned to c or b it was still tight!!!
    and they are only at webstrings.com
    they sound great and major cheap!!
    $10 for a set!!!

steve

12. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002
    Your thoughts?

13. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002
    Other ideas?

14. What, you don't think the previous posters' opinions are good enough? ;)

Mike