1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Light top Heavy bottom bass pack?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jayroc1, May 5, 2017.

1. jayroc1

jayroc1

Sep 24, 2015
    In the guitar realm, there's a light top Heavy bottom pack that's a hybrid gauge

Is there a company that offers that for bass? Heavy E and A, light D and G?

Thanks

2. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

Buy your strings individually. (Make your own set).

Aqualung60 and neddyrow like this.
  3. Are you talking electric bass, or double bass? I'm pretty sure these types of sets exist in the EB world. Like Rick said, you can buy singles to make up your own set for DB.

4. jayroc1

jayroc1

Sep 24, 2015
    I know about singles but I'm interested in 110 to 40 set that's prepackaged. Billy Sheehan signature set has something close and so does the GHS briteflat range but I'm curious if there's other choices

5. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    The gauges very between upright bass and electric bass slightly. The short answer is no, you can't get a pre packaged set like this. I know some makers like Pirastro have E strings that are typically lower tension, but not lower tension on the high strings.

If you want to have a set like this then you'll have to buy strings separately. Understand that tension affects the sound of a double bass more than on an electric bass (in my opinion) so your bass may not like it. My suggestion would be try something like spirocore medium E and A with Spirocore weich D and G. My teacher uses this setup on one of his basses and it works well.

6. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    You're talking bass guitar language here. Are you asking about double bass (acoustic bass, bass fiddle, etc.) strings? This is the double bass forum...

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Really need to do a custom set...

Closest is 45 65 85 110

However some companies call 45 65 85 105 "medium heavy" and 45 65 80 100 "medium" while others call it "medium light"...

Bass isn't like guitar where there is a more "universal language" when it comes to description of sets and lengths.

Talk to a string seller that understands what you are after and has a wide variety of product they can offer to get you what you want, not what they want to sell you.

Dan_reeves and Aqualung60 like this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

MattZilla, smogg and Aqualung60 like this.
  9. D'Addario EXL160BT (don't mispronounce the D.....) for example have a heavier bottom, 50-120 instead of 50-105.

10. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    To be clear this is not at all light top heavy bottom (but i know this was not implied), the D is a little tighter than the E and A.
    Those balanced tension sets have equal tensions so are not light top heavy bottom.

I know of no bass sets that have tension falling from low to high, which is a shame because i strongly believe this is optimal for bass as well as guitar.
    Zachary Guitars used to have ZOG strings but luckily is no longer doing this, he is repulsive and gave this good idea a bad association.
    It also makes sense from a fundamental physics perspective, higher mass strings inherently need more tension, a top E on guitar is fine at 10lbs but a bass string at 10lbs is unusable.

By experimenting to find the lowest practical tension per string you will find that thicker strings progressivley need more tension to be practical.
    In terms of feel, thinner strings 'feel' tighter for the same actual tension.
    Thinner wound strings have thinner cores so cannot take as much tension, this affects high C and F.
    This is all not so obvious on bass because most basses only have a stupidly small number of strings, with 6 strings or more, or when tuning in fifths this becomes more obvious.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Yes... He is asking about pre-packaged sets, and I was pointing out the closest to that of a "PRE-PACKAGED" set from "MAIN STREAM BASS STRING MANUFACTURERS"

12. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Only guitarists get packs of heavy bottom and light top.. getting single strings for bass is needed of you want to do that