1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light USA 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Randy S, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    I am trying to determine a light in weight USA made 5 string bass, preferably 34 inch scale.

Anybody have any ideas?:help:

I'll have at least one high dollar back killer to part with at some point.:crying:

2. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL / ERNIE BALL
    Mike lull are amazing and 8 lbs-

3. nrauch2

nrauch2

Sep 9, 2011
    +1 But I think his fivers are usually 35 inch scale

4. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL / ERNIE BALL
    True, my bad, missed that. Go 35 dude, tighter b-

5. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Matt Pulcinella is known for lightweight, ergonomic basses. He can do either 34" or 35". www.mpguitars.com

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Lull does 34" as an option (and I think it is no-cost). He can build you a reasonably light one. Pete Skjold builds light basses but you'll have a significant wait for one. Sadowsky is another light 34" scale 5-string.

7. nrauch2

nrauch2

Sep 9, 2011
    Yeah the jump from a 34 to a 35 is not bad at all for most people.

8. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Sadowsky NYC: 7-8lbs and 34" scale.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's a Pulcinella in the classifieds right now.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    My Spector NS-5H2 is a featherweight.

11. Sadowsky, Valenti, Lull, almost every high end jazz bass builder makes them light. My Valenti was super light. My Elrick NJS can't weigh more than 8 lbs.

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I love it when people come into a thread telling OP to change their preference :D

13. Haha. First thing that popped into my head was "go 4 string" but I held back.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I built a Warmoth 34" Fender V clone that is light weight, (the body weight is listed when they are presented in the showcase gallery.) I also just traded a 2006 Fender American Deluxe V that was mid 8's, so I know lighter basses can also be found with the Fender decal as well. And....I know there was a Sadowsky MV5 in the classifieds not long ago, (my old bass) in the low-mid 8 lb range, natural finish that is a wonderful bass. Good luck.

15. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    correct. was at his shop a couple weeks ago and asked him about the 34" scale option and he said it was a no-charge option. i played a P5 at his shop and it was pretty dang light.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep; all these guys can build you a nice bass, and you can just about "spec" a weight you want.

How light is light?
    You can get new Fender 5's in the 9lb range, but you'll probably want to go to a major retailer and play 5 of them.

Personally, 9lbs is just right for me. Much less than that, and they feel insubstantial, and I've not really found one I liked sonically at 8 or less.
    much over 9.75, and they just start to feel too heavy for me.

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Sad NYC routinely come in at or just under 8lbs and fit your criteria. Elrick do too, and can be special ordered in 34" scale. My Basslab weighs under 5.5 lbs (really), is 19mm/34" but is made in Germany. Huge, hollowbody tone.

18. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    I know it may sound crazy, but my MM SUB-5 is made in the USofA and weighs in at about 9 lbs. 34" scale, and tone for days... Oh, and I paid $400 for it (including a hard case!)

19. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    Thanks for all the replies guys. The only reason I wanted 34 inch is string availabilty, but in this on-line world even that's not much of an issue.
    I have a '94 Jazz Bass Plus Fiver that is 8.5 lbs, and feels real good to me, especially with the Bartolini hot rod job the previous owner had done by Mike Lull. And I played a Lull Fiver that was even lighter than that. Mike's shop is about 80 miles away.

Anything 8.5 lbs. or lighter will get a close look, even if I have to sell more than 1 bass to do the trick.

I've got a few hoops to pass through before I can pull the trigger on anything, but all your ideas help.

Thanks again...

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Without a doubt, Sadowsky. :bassist: