1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Light weight alt for guitarists?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bredian, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Guys, I know where I'm going with my gear, currently with a few GK pieces, a fearful build in my future.

That leaves the heaviest pieces in the load in 2 twin reverbs that both guitarists continue to love, 85-100lbs depending on the year built. Both of them are 55ish.

Another loves his Marshall, but he's mid 40s, go figure!

What kind of heads have similar sound and who's making LW cabs for guitarists? Are the fEARful usable for them also?

2. walls

walls

Dec 14, 2011
    I think, guitarists have all the light gear they need, readily accessible. They just tend not to use it. A deluxe reverb can be as loud as a twin (OK, almost) if it has an efficient speaker.
    I play in an instrumental band. Now on bass, formerly on guitar.
    I have a 50 watt blonde bandmaster and 2x12 cab with eminence speakers rated at 102db. Good enough for outdoor gigs played clean.
    I have a 40 watt brown pro with a single weber ceramic chicago 15". Easily loud enough for any club gig. 50lbs total.
    I just started playing bass a few months ago. I'm of the opinion, guitarists don't know how easy they have it in the options department.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Doesn't sound the same, but my lightweight guitar rig is now a Crate Power Block and an Ampeg SVT 210av. I'd like to replace the Crate with a nice 15w tube amp, but it does a good enough job for the 3 or 4 guitar gigs I do in a year. But really, no guitar players really NEED a Twin Reverb. They are insanely puke inducing loud when you crank them, and when you don't crank them, you might as well have something lower power.

4. My Marshall JCM90 combo is 42lbs. If that's too tiring to take to ad hoc jams I could always bring my Fender Superchamp XD that's about 30lbs (as I replaced the built-in speaker with a Ragin Cajun so that amp is now super-loud.)

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My guitarist plays a Traynor YCV40 and it is pretty light. Also there are smaller Mesas (F-30), Vox, Orange and other combos/heads that don't weigh a ton.

When I play guitar I generally play my Rivera Fandango 55 2x10 combo.... Yes it is a heavy bugger, but that tone is killer!

I guess the fact that most guitarists won't play solid state amps makes it tough to get them playing "micro" guitar amps.

Having said that, most bar gigs could be done with a 20-30w guitar amp without even having FOH support! A full Marshall stack with a 100w head or a 4x10 Fender combo is overkill for almost any gig I have ever done. But owning a 300w SVT and a 8x10 cab for a bassist? Of course we need that headroom!;):p

6. fngmoe

fngmoe

Nov 24, 2010
    Atlanta
    Markbass released a line for guitarists not long ago.... it's 'DV Mark'. Neo speakers, light cabs. Haven't gotten a chance to play through it yet. Got some good reviews in guitar player mag.

7. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    I'm thinking 50lbs is max necessary weight.

50x100' wooden hall we played at the twins were set to about 4 on the vol... and too loud...

Looked at that - 29 lb 2x12 300watt cabs - THATs what I'm talking about.

8. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011

One of my lead players has a nice 1x12 Marshall combo, could be like yours. He found his killer tone last week on his EVH guitar.

Had another guest lead player sit in with a F-30 or F-50 Mesa and "the tone was killer" but here's what I'm observing .... the 75-100 watt Fender twin power is way underutilized and that "killer tone" is often masked with pedals.

The guy on the Mesa was playing a PRS guitar, which I often see with higher end nightclub bands as well as Santana and Jeff Watson formerly of Night Ranger.

My other lead player, carries around the 30 year old Twin, plays a higher end Ibanez. Got the "tone" the other night almost by accident, switching into the humbucker pickup, which, coincidentally, is the pup that all the above lead players got their tone with.

Just making me wonder.

9. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Marshall Haze

Carvin V3MC 1x12, or the micro head and 1x12 separate

Mesa mini Rectifier and compact cabs

Egnater Rebel head or combo, or Tweaker head

Line 6 DT25 combo (don't look down your nose at this one - the Line 6 guys actually let me use it on a gig and it sounds fantastic)

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I know Fender makes/has made tons of small amps, so it's almost more effort than it's worth trying to list them.