1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Light-weight Amp for Rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jdwinva, May 15, 2006.

1. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Thinking of either a Thunderfunk TF-550B or Epifani UL-502. I play all kinds of rock from Sheryl Crow to Audioslave. Any opinions or other suggestions. If I had a road crew I would be playing through a 70's SVT. However, reality is that I have to carry my own stuff and need something I can actually carry without a crew.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    How about Mark Bass? As i recall, they seem to be pretty lightweight and they offer reasonable power.

3. jdwinva

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    The problem is finding one to try without going to Canada.:meh:

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Have you ruled out GK? Seems like the 1001RB-II might be up your alley - lots of power, great rock tone (among others), and a bit cheaper to boot.

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm really considering G-K. It's a bit cheaper, sounds awesome (IMO), and are reliable as an amp can come.

Then again, they're not for everyone. Otherwise... AG500?

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Eden WT550.

7. Pocket1

Pocket1

Apr 11, 2006
    what is wrong with your aguilar db 750??

if 40 lbs is too much go with a markbass LMII-6lbs and 500 watts, also reviewed in the current bassplayer. i got mine from italamelodie in canada and the transaction was painless.

8. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    +1

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    me thinks the title of this thread could have something to do with it :bag:

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In addition to the forementioned Thunderfunk, Eden, Epifani, Aguilar (AG500) and Markbass, I would add EA iAMP 500 or 800, AI Focus series III, Music Man HD-500, AMP BH-420, Ashdown Labs MK500, Mesa Boogie Walkabout or Walter Woods Ultra to your list. I have used all of these, and IME/IMHO, they are great for rock and don't weigh a ton.

11. +1 for the AI Focus. You can't get much more lightweight than that.

12. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    If you like Aguilar, why not check out the AG500... cool amp and quite light.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    eden wt550 would fit your bill. fat, warm, and pushed gets a nice grind out of its 12ax7 preamp tube. also weighs about 15 lbs.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    another terrific suggestion.

love the overdrive channel, that if you set very low can almost sound psuedo tube like. terrific amp that seems to always get overshadowed by its bigger bro, the DB750.

15. jdwinva

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    If I could skrink the Aggy 750 I would. I tried the AG500 and was a bit underwhelmed. The Eden WT550 and Thunderfunk sound amazing. It looks like it is down to these two....