1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light weight amp with compressor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheIrishOx, Sep 23, 2008.

1. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois
    Any one got Ideas on one, because My rig has been killing me at gigs.

2. The Markbass T501 might be the ticket. It has an onboard tube compressor, and is under 8 pounds and puts out an honest 500 watts.

The EBS HD350 has a GREAT compressor on-board, and is under 20 pounds, 350 watts.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In what way is your rig killing you? What are you looking to do with the compressor? The vast majority of built-in comps are crap, in all honesty. I had to go outboard for mine. Markbass does have a good one, though. Haven't tried the EBS. But most of them are not good.

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I really love the built in compressor on my Roland DB700. Best one I've ever played through, including pedals. To each his own, I guess.

5. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois
    My rig is killing me because of the weight and also I need to upgrade because its just not cutting it sound wise. As far as built in compressor goes I am just looking for an amp not necessarily compression built in but I want to have an even balance throughout the highs, mids and lows of my bass.

6. You surely don't need a compressor for that. I would forget about that option, since as JimmyM states, most are very low quality and meant to be more 'safety limiters' at the input to control peaks versus full feature compressors.

Virtually every modern, high quality solid state amp with a good dose of power (500+ watts or so) will result in a nice, full, even tone.

The small stuff that gets good reviews and that won't break the bank are the Markbass LMII, the Markbass F1, and just recently the GK MB500. In slightly larger and a bit more expensive packages (still at or under 20 pounds), the Markbass SA450, the Aguilar AG500SC, the Eden WT405.

All have their own tone signatures, but they are all relatively clean and quite even from top to bottom without a lot of knob turning.

If you find you need a compressor, the small Demeter or EBS compression pedals work great in a live setting.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As much as I am into compressors, I have to say the best ways to get a good balance across lows, meds, highs are (1) good strings and a really good setup, and (2) a speaker cab designed for even projection across the frequency range.

Most amps aren't that big a part of the equation, and a compressor in this case is a tool to solve a problem- but the problem could be avoided using the two points above.

8. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Tecamp PUMA 1000

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Most compressors will not help with frequency balance. All they do is react to absolute level. Since a compressor acts to reduce level, it's not going to help you be heard. Its purpose is to keep volume peaks in check.

You would do better to adjust your tone.