Light Weight Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Corbis, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I'm a small person and right now I have Carvin Redeye combo amp that I've had for about a year and my band's finally started to have gigs once everyone 2 weeks or less and its getting a pain carrying my that thing around (well a pain for my bandmembers since they have to) To give you an idea the shipping weight was like 75 pounds

So I was wondering for all you short, wimpy bassists out there what do you use? Or do you have any tips for making my amp easier to handle?

To give you an idea I'm like 105 and 5 foot 2.

and no, I'm not 12.
  2. Add casters or a cart/rock 'n roller.

I think that if you like the combo's tones, you should do either. As long as there aren't a lot of steps, it's super easy to tote a combo with casters around.

Otherwise, you're going to have trouble finding a similiar powered combo (at quite frankly any reasonable price) that is lighter than that.

What you could do, is buy a Neo cab (possibly from ) and maybe a used GK 400rb (about 18 pounds). That turns out to be about 62 pounds in a package than you alone can lift by yourself in 2 trips easy.

I'd try casters out and just get your band members to help you get it out of the car as it's only going to cost you about $20.
  3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Well...I'm not short and wimpy, but I am getting old and weary! :D

Anyway, I started the move toward lighter weight stuff last year. That's how I wound up with my WW Ultra and my WBS cabs. Having said that, if you have to lug around the heavy stuff, here's some tips from me and my sore back.....

- Get a back brace and wear it while you move stuff
    - Get help with anything you have to strain to lift.
    - It's better to make more lighter weight trips, than it is to make fewer heavier weight trips.
    - Use a handtruck or dolly when at all possible.
    - Bend your legs when lifting
    - If you load into a van or truck, use a ramp.
    - Don't twist your waist while lifting (that's a biggie)
    - If you feel any pain at all in your back, STOP.

Hope this helps!
  4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    A great deal depends if you're content with your current combo or if you're willing to spend a little (or a lot!) to upgrade to a modular system.
    If you've got the money, a light weight, medium power head (EA, AI, Eden, Aguilar, Thunderfunk, etc.) plus any combination of lightweight cabinets (EA, Schroeder, Epifani, Flite, Avatar, LDS, etc.) would make a killer rig.
    If you're set with your current gear, wheels/carts are the way to go.
    If you had the coin, I'd recommend an AI Focus (600w and 4 lbs.) and a Schroeder 1210 (47lbs.). Bass and amp in a gig bag on your back and the 1210 on castors or a cart. Easy day!
  5. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    If I'm not mistaken, I think you can remove the head section out of your combo cab. It's just Carvin's R600 head mounted in there, which according to the Carvin catalog I happen to have right here, weighs 28 pounds all by itself. I would take that out, put it in its own rack case, and carry the head and cab separately. :)
  7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I have the 2X12 NEO's, they sound great but better yet, I can carry one of them in one hand! I'll put in a review within the next couple of days.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  9. tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    all ya gotta do is bolt on some wheels.

by the way, i have an ampeg BA-115 and it's pretty light. but people always tell me i'm a strong guy. keep luggin it around and u'll get used to it, and stronger. :D
  10. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I don't think casters would work that well on that amp, it's a tilt-back 2x10 combo.

A small handtruck or luggage cart would be perfect for wheeling that thing around. You can buy a little handtruck at any Home Depot. But it won't make lifting it into a car or up stairs any easier.

I believe taking the head out is the best solution.
  11. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    GK MB150 and maybe the extention cab if you need it,
    really light and loud.
  12. mr p body

mr p body

Jan 7, 2005
    13 pounds, 300W. Get a nice small 2X10 cab, and away you go.
  13. frankenfrankie

Feb 6, 2005
    but actually lifting this stuff into my truck is a completely other problem.

damn near impossible on my own, although i've been creative.

do have a dolly that helps. but pully's and levers might be in order.

wow, these are great recommendations.

14. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    This is a copy of an entry I put in another thread some time ago. Maybe of help.

Until recently I had two Ashdowns, an ABM 115/500 combo and an EL 130/15. Sadly, due to a serious bad back, I've had to part ex the ABM. It was a super amp and I wasn't happy about changing it but it was just too heavy. As it is, the EL (at 19kgs) is still a bit more than I should be lifting with my back. Luckily, I had found that the EL is fine for nearly all our gigs in terms of volume so the ABM didn't need to go out much.
    However, I was loaned a Gallien-Krueger MB150E by a friend to try out while I still had my two Ashdowns. Ideal, as I could try each one out side by side. Well I was very impressed with this little 12" tin box combo. The depth and clarity were incredible- I couldn't believe you could get such lows from that little combo. And it weighs just 24lbs. Far more depth than the EL, much approaching that of the ABM with its fixed EQ in. So I made the decision that I had to compromise - weight of amp v output capability. I traded my ABM for a MB150.
    I would never have changed the ABM other than for the reason I did. I suppose I worry a bit in case we have to play in a big venue. I also worry because the MB150 only has an adjustable limiter and I'm going to miss the VU meter. Also the staff at Ashdown just have to be the most helpful on the planet, they are great to deal with.
    I just wish I could lift amps around like I could 30 years ago.

I've now been using this GK for about a year now and it's great. I sometimes use the 12" extension speaker cab that matches it - it depends on the gig. This takes the output from 100W to 150W. Small clubs, up to 80 - 90 people, I usually use it on its own. Bigger halls with up to 150+ I would use the extra cab.
    Not at any time has the amp been unable to cope and I've played 4, 5 and 6 string through it. Our line up is Keyboard (Female vocals), Male Vocal, Sax, Drums and Bass. We play Swing, Country, Rock & Roll, Ballads and other mixes of stuff from the 70's and 80's
    All the humping heavy gear is now in the past. I put castors on my ABM but that didn't get the combo in and out of the car or up steps.
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    all good C,

i'm a gent of small stature, but at the same time, a lazy bum, too. or as Vanselus likes to call me "granny ass". ;)

and while the casters idea is a good one, many clubs are down a rather long flight of stairs. :( thusly, for me, the lighter the better.

thankfully, depending on how much you'd like to spend, many companies are mining recent bass tech:

Epifani UL series 502, 902 heads = avalon U5 + EQ, clean, hifi, superbly voiced EQ. very pricey
    Eden WT550 head - aggressive tube tone, 600+ watts @ 2 ohms, 15 lbs.
    EA iAMP-500, 800 - 800 can do 1000 watts @ 2 ohms, clean, hifi, tone with a swiss army like EQ section, 18 lbs.
    Acoustic Image Focus 600 - clean, yet strangely warm almost tube tone w/ a rather limited EQ, 6 lbs.
    Ampeg Portabass 250 head - not really familiar

also, many speakers are getting lighter and lighter with the advent of the neodynium magnet:

Epifani UL series - articulate, clean, hifi, and very up front, chewy midrange. e.g. UL 1x12 = 30 lbs.
    Aguilar's GS112 - 1x12 weighing 39 lbs., fat, retro sound
    Accugroove Tri112 - 39 lbs., hifi airy tone
    Acme B2 series - a pair of 1x10's are each 30 lbs., practically a studio flat hifi sound.
    Ampeg Portabass series cabs - tried a 2x10 and thought it lacked alot of low end.

IMHO, an affordable setup would be a used Eden WT400 or 550 w/ a pair of used Aguilar 1x12's. a pair of 1x12's equal about the same volume as a 4x10, and yet much easier to carry.
  16. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Thanks for all the tips I'll probably try taking out the amp from the combo. But I don't think I'll beable to use a carrying case for it since its not a rackmount. or am I wrong?
  17. id say casters are the way to go, but ive wandered into a gig carrying 2 peavey 410tvx's , i spose im a kinda big guy tho :p
  18. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I was gassing for a B1900 and BRX10 combo from Carvin but shy'd away cause of the weight factor and they wouldn't make any smaller neo cab's so I went with a Yamaha bbt500h head (10lb's) and 2 wizzy cabs (30lb's ea.)
  19. [​IMG]
    SV2 DuratuffII Rack.
    This from the Carvin site and can be used for the R600 which is the brain of the Redeye. 50 bucks

I would recommend Avatar cabs, try 2 single 12's and stack them
    45lbs, 219.00 + 29.00 shipping. 500 watts @ 4 or 8 ohms

I use the B212 and I love it. Weighs in @ 75lbs but considering the SVT610hlf I had weighs 115lbs, it's nothing for me to move myself.
    Casters are recommended though.